Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1275 Heads, engines and numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1275 Heads, engines and numbers

    Hi,

    Glad I found this forum and happy new year to everyone.

    I'm interested in the 1275 engine fitted to the maestro and montego. Is this engine the same specification as the MG Metro 1275? i.e what are the valve sizes, is it unleaded or leaded, does it use the same cam shaft etc. etc.

    I would be very greatful if someone could give me a rundown of the 1275 engines as used by the maestro and montego variants and how they differ.

    Also, are the engine numbers the same as that of the mini and metro? I have information which helps me identify the mini and metro engines but I don't know if this will work for the maestro and montego.

    Do all maestro and montego 1275's use the same cylinder head or are there any differences.?

    thanks in advance for your help.

    Best Regards.

    Matt.

  • #2
    Matt, as you run a professional business modifying heads, and claim to be as good as any of the more well-known outfits, what sort of discount are you offering forum members in return for all the information from us which may provide you with a very cheap source of heads to modify?
    Or to put it another way, please lay your cards on the table, and what's in it for us? :laugh:
    midget1380@btinternet.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi David,

      Just to clarify, I don't run a professional business modifying heads. I used to be an automotive engineer and have spent many years carrying out this work professionally on prestige road cars, historic racers and indy cars. I am actually a technology teacher now (mainly because the 12 weeks a year holiday allow me to pursue other interests.) Presently I prepare 1 or 2 heads a month as well as offering specialised engine machining and related services.

      The bulk of people who ask me to do stuff are mini owners who generally want a decent quality performance head but don't want to spend around £400 to get it. If I have or they exchange a head which already has the 35.6mm inlet valve I can save them a significant amount (if the valves are serviceable of course). My source up until now for these heads had been Mg metro's and I only recently read that the maestro and montego used this same big valve head, it was this which I was trying to confirm.

      What's in it for you? I'm not sure - most forums I use for different purposes don't ask this question. You simply join and help others where you can and they help you if they can. If I see a question which I think I can help with I will.

      Obviously the services I offer are available to anyone on this forum £200 gets you an unleaded stage 3 head (if you exchange with a serviceable big valve unit) £250 if you don't. Lot's of other services available skims, unleaded conversion, valve seat jobs, crank wedging etc. etc. generally 1/2 the price of well known outfits.

      Thanks for your intereset.

      Matt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is it just mainly A series engines that you get involved in or do you cater for others as well?
        How much do you charge for crank wedging?
        Where abouts are you based?
        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi,

          I can offer a variety of services on a variety of engines and heads. Best to email me what you want done and I can advise.

          I wedge A-series cranks for £30

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi,
            The Maesty and Monty heads are the same excepting hardened valve seats after about 1988/89.

            Valves are 29mm Inlet and 33mm Exhaust.

            This information is free.

            Hope this helps,
            Dave.

            Comment

            Working...
            X