Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro tailgate needed with tinted glass

Hi guys

Does anyone have a rust free Maestro tailgate with bronze tinted glass they would be willing to part with? I need one for my Maestro Turbo restoration. I have a spare rust free one with clear glass but don't really want the hassle of getting the glass changed. The tailgate must be free of any kind of internal rot. Outer surface rust may be ok.

Cheers.
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Hmm thanks for reminding me I think

I forgot the turbo hatches were bronze tinted, we have sourced a normal hatch for it, as you wouldn't believe the amount of rust on the existing one.

Will it be really noticebable with a clear glass hatch, is the windscreen tinted too? As ours needs a new one of them as well.
    Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I did wonder whether to leave the glass clear, but on comparing with other Maestro turbos, and my Monty Turbo, i think it is going to show (worse on monty saloons cause of the wrap-around rear screen). I need a new windscreen too and thats tinted aswell. Let hope we can both find what we need. I wonder if theres any way of tinting the clear glass to bronze tinted standard? Or if it is possible to swap the glass over at home.
      1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

When I changed the tailgate on my Turbo I was able to remove the tinted glass from the original one. It's not that difficult - after peeling out the rubber strip from the inside and the plastic strip from the outside, you can push a sharp knife between the glass and the metal and tap it round carefully to gradually separate the glass from the tailgate. I removed the glass fro the replacement tailgate, cleaned everything up, sprayed the replacement tailgate in the correct colour (using spraycans - turned out well!) fitted the tailgate to the car, and then paid £30 for a chap to come to me and fit the tinted glass.

Comment

glass in the tailgate

Getting the glass changed will be easier than finding another rust free one. Presumably the rust free one is from an earlier car or a base model if it has the clear glass?

When my car had a new tailgate the glass was swapped so I kept my old glass with the etched reg. I didn't ask the garage to do this so it must have been easy.
          Last edited by matthewsemple; 18th January 2005, 19:45.

Comment

Al on this forum has a spare genuine Tickford-but-rusty tailgate available - I presume this has the tinted glass.
            midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Working...
            X