THE PERKINS DIESEL ENGINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE PERKINS DIESEL ENGINE

Picture the day. Strolling from the house dressed in flat cap and wellies , not forgetting the neck scarf...on a weekend drive and that english hobby of a picnic. only to arrive to your trustworthy reliable car that has been like a loyal friend over many years , never let you down , may have needed a little time and attention to keep it on the straight and narrow but always there like an obedient dog at your side. You get in start the engine and for me it would be greatful sigh...not to the fact it started but because i know i can trust and depend on that loyal friend and servant. You look around the interior and over the bonnet with only one thought" yes i do own a deisel , the perkins none the less and in this car it makes me proud to be british and proud to be of the autin/rover culture"! On the drive out to the country the engine chugs endlessly and fights like men in battle to victoriously defeat many hills in its way. Slow but sure is the way! Knowing while the loyal friend works to please it keeps the pound afloat in the owners pocket.
    How proud are you of your car and its engine? I know I am!

MY montego 2.0l TD...What a fantastic car. As said in aother thread on my return journey from Dorset once i had collected my car I managed a staggering 74 mpg , filled her up before i left Dorest and on my return to Cornwall she was filled for the second time so we worked out the litres in to gallons againt the milage , yes e were suprised too. This car has gave a whole new light on fuel economy and driving for me. I cant thank the perkins engine enough.

Comment

I'd not say they are slow. My modded van engine just about keeps up with my modded rover 600 diesel. That is producing probably 120bhp, which means my van can't be that far behind. Its certainly over 100bhp which is a 20% improvement on standard!
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I love my diesel! I have a 2.0 non-turbo camper van. No idea what bhp it produces, and don't really care. I just know it starts first go no matter how long it's been stood, it can accelerate at a reasonable pace, even in 5th gear after some tweaking last year, and gets 55-60mpg I also love the friendly dieselly noise the engine makes. Somehow my Rover 400 diesel isn't as endearing.
        A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
        Maestro Camper Van
        Maestro 1.3L
        Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

hmmm maybe not that slow , i really dont mind butit is alot slower than my 169 bhp 827 lol. The engine on my td gives a fantastic deep throated rattley hum , sounds great. Just like all diesels should.

Comment

iam always over taking VW TDi's on the motorway......i just like the fear it causes to one glancing in their rear view mirror seeing an old English dog warrior charging on the assault towards and past the slimy smug turncoat deustie poodle sympathizers! lol

Anyone got a British bulldog transfer i could stick on the back bumper?

i would enjoy better MPG if i didnt storm down the motorway doing 90-100mph

i havent got a speeding ticket from the plain clothes...yet...maybe there still left pinching themselves or still tripping from the night before disbelieving that they still exist.... let alone that they can go that fast?
            Last edited by guussi; 18th May 2007, 15:37.
            0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

king perkins

the perkins lives on..... for the ever so trendy middle class village gentry......inside many a narrow boat and knackered old landrover

'cough and get your own diesel engines and leave our scrapyard maestro's alone!!!
              grrrrr

Comment

The maestro is our british bulldog....
                Butch
                some may say ugly, big wide jawls and leaking oil slobber
                full of grunt backed by brut force... but easily fixed thro' ignorance

...its that perceived undesirable uglyness that i find most appealing

How much 80's strike action did it take to get yours built?
                Last edited by guussi; 19th May 2007, 09:22.

Comment

what a fantastically poetic thread!

I am turbo perkins powered and they are fantastic! i cant praise them enough!

Comment

Frank is smiling down on you all
                    My name is Darren.
                    Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                    1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                    1995 Rover 214SI
                    2004 MG ZS 120
                    2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                    2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

is that mr.perkins?

Comment

Yes. Frank Perkins.
                        He has a dual-carriageway named after him in Peterborough.
                        If you visit the BL rally and approach from the east via the A47 and A1139 you will drive on it and see the factory on the left hand-side.
                        My name is Darren.
                        Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                        1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                        1995 Rover 214SI
                        2004 MG ZS 120
                        2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                        2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

Originally posted by guussi
                          get your own diesel engines and leave our scrapyard maestro's alone!!!
                          grrrrr
                          The best 4X4 by far[as long as they were made before 1971]

Comment

My dad owned a 1983 Sherpa with the Perkins diesel in. We dismanted it and rebult it in two weeks. It had over 200,000 miles on by the time he sold it. Ahhh the memories!!!

Comment

The Perkins Prima engine seems to have it all. Fast enough for modern traffic coupled with fantastic economy, especially when DERV is as cheap as unleaded these days. Why is this illusion shattered for me when I hear of so many of these engines suffering from head gasket failure?
                              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                              X