'Barney' restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Barney' restoration

I have not posted on here for several months, partly because of a previous altercation (sod it, life's too short) and partly because I don't think I had very much useful to add.

Just thought I'd post up some pictures of the restoration of my beige Maestro HLE, to date:

Much work is still to be completed, such a sandblasting and repainting the wheels, completing the doors, tailgate and bonnet and ultimately putting it all together again. However the transformation is unreal and I have to admit their work is exceptional and their dedication to restoring this little beige beauty to its former self is admirable. I was round at the bodyshop on Thursday night and they were painting the doors in the spray booth at half eleven at night.

Work is drawing to an end on Barney, and if he lads at the bodyshop are really, really honest, I think they will be sad to see the little beige blunderbuss go, as I feel he has become quite a talking point.

I will post some more pictures up for your delectation when the job is completed. After that, the car desparately needs a new exhaust as the one on it is shot like a pepper-pot, making the car sound either absolutely fantastic or completely knackered, depending on your point of view. Then there's the speedo to sort: the racket it makes is unbearable and any speed above 50mph is guesswork. It had a new speedo cable before Xmas, kindly fitted by Richards' Smith and Gelder, so it can't be that.
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

ace work!

good on you john for putting money into this car! itl be worth it in the end when u have a mint or near mint HLE deffo

all credit to you and the garage team carrying out the work!

Comment

wow thats going to look well smart, make sure u have your insurance sorted to cover you for a , as new car and lots of pics of the rebuild always goes down well too.
      it will be a credit to you jon,
      ps glad your back too
      Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

Fantastic John it looks amazing. I'm so pleased to see an Austin model being shown the loving care and attention it deserves. Can't wait to see it finished!
        1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Looks great. Can't wait to see the final result.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
            wow thats going to look well smart, make sure u have your insurance sorted to cover you for a , as new car and lots of pics of the rebuild always goes down well too.
            it will be a credit to you jon,
            ps glad your back too
            A very good point, and one I had already considered, hence a raft of photos (only some of which are produced here). It's currently insured under Budget, whom I doubt will offer an agreed valuation, which is what I ultimately want. It's not (nor is it ever going to be) a particularly desirable or valuable variant, but this car has cost me an awful lot to restore and if it gets into a minor 'fender bender' I don't want it written off.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

That's looking rather nice, isn't it?

As someone else said, it's great to see an early austin getting the treatment.

I've always said that you can only get away with beige if it's completely spotless - and this car is going to be just that. It's the same with E-Types in Primrose Yellow. As soon as they begin to look tatty, they are awful!

Great work, John.
              You can contact me by clicking here.
              Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

More pics...

Very nearly ready now...

Drivers door being G3'd:

Barney under wraps ready for schutz:

On it goes:

Wheels have been sandblasted, etch-primed, sprayed with hi-build and rubbed down ready for top-coat and lacquer:

Driver's door again, being masked off for the window frame to be sprayed:

Regards
                John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Well done John, that will look fantastic when it's all back together. Will you bring it to a show this summer?
                  Phil

Comment

Looks stunning. I would be scared to drive it just incase anything happened.

Comment

Originally posted by philippope
                      Will you bring it to a show this summer?
                      Phil
                      Not sure...it's not really a great cross-country cruiser (it and hills just do not get on, for starters) and so very few shows are within 100 miles of here
                      Regards
                      John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

That looks supeb, John!

I can't wait to see it in one piece again.

I did a fair number of long journeys in Barney. It's much better on the motorway than a 4spd 1.3 - it's just a bit more relaxed on the hills. The key to that is - don't go north - go south where there are less hills.

Comment

I am *SO* looking forward to seeing the finished article!
                          A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
                          Maestro Camper Van
                          Maestro 1.3L
                          Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

Lancaster will cover you adequately with resto photo's invoices and a club valuation. Get the agreed valuation done before you have it out on the road.
                            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                              It's not (nor is it ever going to be) a particularly desirable or valuable variant
                              Depends how much fuel prices go up

Comment

Working...
                              X