Austin Montego 1.6 HL Estate (C699OFE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bit more work done this weekend...

I've got the engine back together and fitted back in the car, and i've given the engine bay a bit of a clean up.

All i need to do now is put some running in oil in - which i've just bought today, refit the flame trap to the sump, repair one of the vac pipe connections (the one to the ECU) and put the timing belt cover back on....

here it is waiting to go...

I’ve got to work away until Wednesday now, so it might not be until Thursday I get to see if it works.

The one thing I’ve took off and I don’t know where it goes is this….

Anyone with a definitive answer for where it goes – preferably with a pic please post!!

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

just saw my own picture and it's struck me.... it's the bottom fixing for the carb overflow pipe? from memory it tags onto one of the sump bolts...

which reminds me i havn't put the over flow pipe back on.... is the location shown on the exploded diagram in Haynes? if not does anyone have a pic of theirs? off the top of my head, does it bolt on to the front of the engine next to the timing belt cover?

Andy
      CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Sorry Andy, can't show you where it is on my Maestro as it is in Derby and I am in (at the time of writing) North Hertfordshire!
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Just got back home at 8.00 tonight, fitted the flame trap, chucked my 'running in oil' in, fitted an in-line fuel filter just before the pump, and gave it a spin on the starter

it took a few goes before the fuel came through the filter, but as soon as the fuel got to the carb it burst into life....

Idiot here forgot to put the downpipe back onto the exhaust manifold, so when it kicked up it frightened the life out of me.

Very happy with the result, it's running on a blend of 2 parts 20 year old 4 Star to 3 parts 1 year old unleaded - so i was surprised it started so easy.

Couple of things to deal with now, reassemble the timing cover & fit the carb drain pipe.

The only issue was a lose clip on the coolant hose onto the manifold was not tightened up right - leading to lots of steam, and there also seems to be some air in the cooling system i think.

Next things to suss are the cooling fan doesn't seem to work, and there's no air coming through the screen vents when the fan is on, so somethings wrong there too... the windscreen wipers are stoping at the vertical position for 5 seconds and then coming back down - don't know why yet, but at least the worst job is done!!

I'll try and upload a video of it running when i get to work (left my camera lead there)...

Andy
          Last edited by H48HPE; 9th May 2012, 21:12.
          CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

That's excellent news. I'm sure everything else will be a breeze after all the work done to get it running. It's one big step closer to the road...

Comment

Great news, such a good feeling when it all comes together. Well done.
              Greg

Rover Maestro 1.6LX 1991,Daily Driver
              Triumph TR7 V8 DHC 1980

Comment

Nice work Andy, great progress.

Comment

Nice one
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                  MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Real hard core diy motor mechanics going on there - job well done.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
                      Mmmm...delightful. A lovely looking motor. My unused S Series would look lovely in that engine bay...

So would mine
                      Sure & steadfast.
                      BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                      1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

nice work a montego work on unleaded?

Comment

not this one - it's supposed to be 4* leaded, unlessn the head's had hardened seats put in. Normally with my classics I use unleaded fuel wit the addition of some Castrol Valvemaster lead replacement fluid....

Andy
                          CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Some good news on this one....

I took it for a test today and it's passed - the guy that did it was very helpful and adjusted my headlights, but thats all it needed.

One advisory note to say the brakes all have a slight bind, but that'll get sorted ASAP as i want to rebuild the brakes...

In short - Another one back on the road!

Have had it for a 15mile run, and it drives nicely!!

Andy
                            CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Brilliant news Andy, well done.
                              Greg

Rover Maestro 1.6LX 1991,Daily Driver
                              Triumph TR7 V8 DHC 1980

Comment

Great job, now lets have some upto date pictures!

Comment

Working...
                                X