Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Austin Montego 2.0HL (E225CMV)

Shameless copy/paste of post...

I am the unbelievably proud owner of a 1987 Austin Montego 2.0HL in Moonraker Blue with a Flint Plain/Chalkstripe interior. It's done just over 40000 miles, and was delivered to the AGM for me by Ed Davey (Thanks Ed).

If you don't know the history of the car, Ed bought the car from its first owner in April last year, when the first owner gave up driving. He has since inflicted much OCD upon this car, making it as good as it would have been when it left the factory. The one cosmetic issue that needs attention is the front wing - the first owner missed when trying to park, and has knocked a dent in the arch. I also want to respray and rechrome the bumpers to remove the scuffs the first owner caused.

On the journey home it didn't miss a beat - although those who were present when I discovered the loss of an indicator lense probably didn't expect such profanity from me! It also survived an unprovoked attack from Richard Lodge in the car park of the Malt Shovel. Getting incredibly good mpg figures on a run - best so far was 41.8, but I'm averaging mid thirties on mixed driving.

Anything else you want to know about it, by all means ask. I can see this being a keeper...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Captain Slow; 17th January 2012, 21:57.
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Jobs to do

Source new or used nearside indicator (DONE)
    Sort out the incredibly low idle - (DONE)
    Reinstate rear window chrome trim - as found on press and pre-prod cars but not production examples. (DONE)
    Replace front speakers, both of which have blown (DONE)
    Source and fit new rear belt buckle to replace the centre one (DONE)
    Sort the dent in the front offside wing, respray. (Will be done after the bad weather to stop Sod's Law; someone using it as a parking aid!)
    Respray the grille - the lacquer's starting to lift. (Will need to replace as a lug has also snapped) (DONE)
    Sort rattly door lock pegs (Planned solution didn't work; back to the drawing board) (DONE)
    Apply clear silicon sealant to back of new indicator and current offside one - allegedly it's a fix that works. (DONE - using the Rich Smith method of gaffer tape)
    Clean the interior (Especially the driver's seat) (DONE)
    Check and adjust/replace fan belt - it's squealing like a tortured cat symphony. (DONE)
    Last edited by Captain Slow; 28th May 2012, 18:18.
    Sam Skelton

PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Have spent much of the last 20 hours or so biting my nails, as I had an argument with a gritter on my way home from university yesterday. Too dark to see if it had done any damage to my paintwork, so I've had to wait.

Just been to the jetwash (I prefer handwashing but I'd rather get any grit off my car in a way that doesn't risk rubbing it in!) and whilst it's chucking it down outside I THINK I've got away with it. Update to follow tomorrow when it's drier and I've hand-washed it.
      Sam Skelton

Comment

I've spent the last couple of days with Richard Gelder of this parish. Whilst I was there we hooked my car up to a gas analyser; I've long been convinced it hasn't been running properly, as it hunted at idle, didn't go properly, ran on, and was returning scarily high mpg figures.

The gas analyser started by showing negative CO readings, with 0.7 or so at best. Following a rather long tuning session which has left the emissions at about 2.2%, the car now idles smoothly, runs well, and doesn't run on. Having taken it for a spin when done I needed to pinch myself, as it now feels like a completely different car!

Any comments about the Yorkshireman trying to run his car on air WILL be ignored!

Oh and whilst I'm here, I got away with the gritter attack.
        Sam Skelton

Comment

All excellent news Sam. You should find it much more responsive now that it's running with the correct mixture.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Update time!

After passing the MoT with no advisories in April, I treated it to a full service and a bit of bodywork. The scuffed bumper corners have been filled and resprayed, the black strips in the bumpers have been sprayed satin black as they were fading. and I replaced the chrome trim in the bumpers as it had yellowed quite badly. Made the mistake of using cheap stuff though - and it's already parting company just six weeks after fitment. New chrome trim is in the post...

I've replaced the starter motor this month - the solenoid had failed, meaning that the starter was spinning but not engaging with the flywheel. As I needed a car during my exam period and both live on a hill and park on one at university, I made do with bumping through the exam period. New starter on, things are a lot better!

Economy; I'm getting low 20s on short stop/start runs, averaging 33/34mpg on my 25 mile A road commute, and on motorway jaunts I'm getting mid to high forties. Not bad for a 25 year old 2.0 saloon car with a carb!

The car is featured in an 80s fleet car comparison in this months Classic Car Mart - and I'd imagine it will be getting further magazine exposure during my summer internship at Classic Car Weekly.

First show of the year was Pride of Longbridge, where the car attracted a lot of favourable attention and was one of AROnline's cars of the show. (I do contribute to AROnline, but it wasn't my article!) Next show will be Tatton Park next Sunday.

Oh, and some pics for you all.

At Pride of Longbridge

With its rivals

Interior, following a bit of a spruce-up

At Markham Moor Little Chef, A1

With the only 2.0Si still taxed. The Si had fewer toys but more power and sold for more or less the same price as my 2.0HL.

Oh, and it's now on about 43400 miles.
            Sam Skelton

Comment

mmm That would look nice next to my est
              Sure & steadfast.
              BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
              1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
              1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Well, if you bring your estate to BL Day we might have to get some pics of them together.

You can't have it though - there's a line of people who've said they already want it! Mind, they're not getting it either - it's staying right here
                Sam Skelton

Comment

I saw with interest your car featured in classic car mart. There was even one of you at the wheel.
                  It does look well Sam.
                  Moonraker in its day was one of those colours that just didn't stand out to me.A chap i knew bought a MG Montego in Moonraker and although it looked nice enough it just seemed to lack something. I think he may have been impressed by my car which made him consider buying a Montego.
                  With the passage of time i think a nice looking Moonraker car with a good depth of shine looks fantastic and i have to admit i do like the SD1 in that colour. I think your car looks very very attractive and the nice shiny bits all help. Its one of those colours you find more appealing as time goes by. It was a bit like that for me with Arun white. I was never keen until years after they had ceased production i would regulalry see an MG montego on my way to wrk everyday. It was Arun white with the power washers and it looked fantastic. Bit like the song "You don't know what youve got till it's gone" (big yellow Taxi).
                  So you are going to work for classic car weekly are you Sam? Sounds great fun and i know it may be hard work but its nice if you can find work you can enjoy.

Nice period brick telephone i wouldn't mind one of those myeslf. I think its smaller than the originals though . Unless i am mistaken. I think at first launch they had to carry a heavy battery pack around.
                  Last edited by The Professor; 10th June 2012, 13:52.

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor View Post
                    I saw with interest your car featured in classic car mart. There was even one of you at the wheel.
                    There was indeed - easily the silliest photo of me ever. The idea was shots without traffic, and the Sierra owner and I were waiting in a bus stop down the road for traffic to clear. Fine, until a bus arrived...

It does look well Sam.
                    Thank you! I still need to sort out a wing and blend/lacquer the other paintwork I've done, but it's a case of finding coincidental free time and decent weather!

With the passage of time i think a nice looking Moonraker car with a good depth of shine looks fantastic and i have to admit i do like the SD1 in that colour. I think your car looks very very attractive and the nice shiny bits all help. Its one of those colours you find more appealing as time goes by.
                    Yes indeed - my first memory is a Moonraker SD1 my parents had, and it's nice to have that little link to the past.

So you are going to work for classic car weekly are you Sam? Sounds great fun and i know it may be hard work but its nice if you can find work you can enjoy.
                    I am indeed - an internship in July and August. Won't necessarily lead to anything permanent but it puts me on their preferred freelance list long term, and means I stand a better chance than most should a staff post become available. Plus it stands me in good stead for other magazines - as weeklies work under higher pressure, everybody wants people who can cope with the workload of a weekly publication.

Nice period brick telephone i wouldn't mind one of those myeslf. I think its smaller than the originals though . Unless i am mistaken. I think at first launch they had to carry a heavy battery pack around.
                    Not mine - it belongs to a friend with an XR3i cabrio from my local classic car group! The red braces and period atlas are mine though...

The phone's actually a cheap toy from eBay, but it served the purpose for pics. I'm after either a carphone or a period mobile for mine for shows.
                    Last edited by Captain Slow; 10th June 2012, 20:31.
                    Sam Skelton

Comment

My MG still has a Motorola in-car phone fitted. I've never used it as it needs the large style Sim. It goes with the car though. I think it must have been installed early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                        Well, if you bring your estate to BL Day we might have to get some pics of them together.

You can't have it though - there's a line of people who've said they already want it! Mind, they're not getting it either - it's staying right here
                        If i did go I dont think it would get first prize again
                        Sure & steadfast.
                        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Milestone passed today.
                          Attached Files
                          Sam Skelton

Comment

I remember when the odometer in my Montego began with '04...' It's now almost '09...'

Comment

Mine's at 7.5K only!!
                              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                              X