G51 NAV aka MG Maestro Turbo #502 of 505

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G51 NAV aka MG Maestro Turbo #502 of 505

Thought I'd start a thread about this car, which is after all the car whose reg I use for my site login ID, so I guess it deserves its own thread

We bought this car in December 2002, so this year will see our stewardship pass the decade-mark, easily the longest period of time anyone in my family has kept any car.

The car has had five registered keepers to date, two of which were the original dealer. They were the car’s first and third registered keeper, the second keeper owning the car for just 15 months. The second time the dealer owned the car they kept it for over six years, all the while maintaining its MOT and road-tax though using it very little. The car’s MOT certificates and tax-discs corroborate this. The fourth keeper owned it for four years before selling it to us in December 2002.

The bodywork and mechanics of the car are totally standard. The car has never needed welding nor has any of its bodywork been replaced, but it has been partially resprayed in recent years to remove scratches, stone-chips and other minor blemishes.

A Thatcham Category-1 security system with remote central locking is the only notable modification.

This car has appeared in numerous articles in national and international magazines including MG Enthusiast (twice: July 2000 and July 2011), Street Racers (USA, in one of a series of pull-out features on British 'iconic' cars), Practical Classics (small article in April 2008's issue) and in the book British Cars From 1910 To Present Day (Craig Cheetham, Amber Books, 2006, ISBN 1905704054)

It was also one of the 700+ vehicles photographed for inclusion in Gran Turismo 4. Sadly 100+ vehicles, including this one, were ultimately not included because of 'development-time constraints'.

The car has currently covered just shy of 31,000 miles.

Some photos:

...at Milbrook Proving Ground, Bedfordshire, April 2003, in a line of cars ready to be photographed by Polyphony Digital for Gran Turismo 4:

...its one and only concession to chav-dom, appearing at a local "cruise-show": a charity-event in the grounds of a local college in April 2006 (the white R34 next to it belongs to a workmate of mine):

...at the Lancashire Classic Car & Bike Show on 26 June 2011, with my wife holding its award received that day for Best Post-1980 Classic:

...at MG Saloon Day on 03 July, where it was to be awarded Car of the Show:

The engine-bay when I acquired the car in December 2002:

...and as it is now:

...in the book by Craig Cheetham (highly recommended too, and I'm not just saying that because my car is in it, honest!):

Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

I agree about the book; it's a good read.

I also reckon it's easily the nicer of your two Turbos, not just on condition but it feels better to drive.
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Working...
    X