1995 Rover 214 SEi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Rover 214 SEi

Yes, not a Maestro or Montego I know, but a rather impressive BL vehicle just the same.

This is a new addition to the household, and also another eBay impulse purchase. My parents had a 218 Diesel when I was younger, so this is a nice trip down memory lane (albeit a bit plusher and quicker!). This one comes with 11 months MoT, two month's tax, a host of new mechanical parts, an unmarked interior (with snazzy half leather seating) and wonderfully low mileage of 30,000!

Bad parts are the paintwork was in shocking condition, and coming from an elderly owner it's got an above average number of dents scratches and ill-advised touch up pen horrors. All is not lost, though as after a whole afternoon polishing, it passes the five yard test with ease - as you can see.

Anorak point: The SEi came with standard fit 15" alloy wheels, which obliviously are not present here. Instead there are a set of 15" steel wheels with proper Rover wheel trims I do not recognise. The 1995 Rover 200 brochure shows 15" steel wheels as not available on anything. Current thoughts are that the first owner didn't want the alloy wheels fitted, but the true reason is lost in the mists of time. Does anyone recognise the wheel trims from a car or trim level?
    Attached Files

Basic 820i R17 I believe. That looks super, will have to come for a proper nosey soon.

There's an owners club for the R8 as well you know - might be worth joining if it needs any rare bits.
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
      ...might be worth joining if it needs any rare bits.
      Oddly, the only thing it 'needs' is a new 16 Valve badge for the boot lid, as strangely someone has tried to pull it off and broke it. It would seem the generic "16V" badge from Halfords just isn't classy enough for the more discerning chav!

Comment

Lovely, Rich. I was looking for a 214 SEi at one point, which is why I noticed the lack of alloys. Those trims look good on it, though!
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

This reliable little Rover has been clocking up endless motorway miles since last March with only a couple of niggling problems. Nothing has stopped it!

The second one on the fleet (advertised here and bought last May) is similarly munching up miles on the M62 - and again has been totally reliable.

I'd always thought of staying well clear of the K Series before now, but I've been well impressed. My only nag is that the engine is working too hard at 70mph...it needs a 6th cog in the 'box!

Anyone stuck for something a little interesting to drive every day and is now wanting to keep their Maestro 'for best' or their Maestro has fallen apart - I would heartily recommend a 214 as a replacement. The later SEi specification is particularly nice!
          Attached Files

Comment

I have had a 214Sei & a 214i & they were both very nice cars indeed, far better than the main competition at the time.

Comment

around 2003 my Auntie gave me chance to have a 218 diesel - but part of the deal was my Maestro had to go - so i had to say no.... looking back it would have probably been a good swap - I was too much into Maestros at that point - had the rover been higher spec i might have been up for it, but it didn't even have electric windows!

Impressed with yoiur fleet at the moment Rich - some nice motors !!

Andy
              CURRENT FLEET:
              1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
              1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
              1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
              2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
              1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post

I'd always thought of staying well clear of the K Series before now, but I've been well impressed. My only nag is that the engine is working too hard at 70mph...it needs a 6th cog in the 'box!
                The R8 is a cracking motor. Far better built than the maestro, and the K series just loves to rev. The little 1.4 packing the same headline numbers as the old O series!

You need to rev it to get the best performance but so long as you keep on top of the short oil changes and wait till it is fully warm it won't mind at all.

A few common issues are easy enough to sort.

Our old SLi did 60k miles in 3 or 4 years and aside from a weird intermittant fault which took a while to trace, it didn't really let us down.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The R8 when launched was a total transformation from the Maestro & Montego that is replaced (well sort of given they carried on producing them), certainly in terms of build quality longevity.

Comment

I ran a 214 SEi as a daily until two years ago: I sold it with 201,000 miles on the clock and with the original engine and gearbox still in great condition (head, water pump, radiator etc had been done properly at 115,000 before I bought it)

It always achieved around 40mpg, but I agree with Rich: top gear is too low. This can be improved by fitting a gearbox from a 1.6 litre Rover 400 or 45.
                    1983 (Y) MG 1600
                    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                    1990 Clubman D
                    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Winter is the time to appreciate the quick warm up characteristics of the 'K' series
                      Heater goes on when temp gauge up to warm- in about a mile and a half.

Gearing in the 214's does vary: my early example (90 214gsi) is higher geared than my (95 214si) . Horses for courses acceleration v refinement.
                      I find it curious the later more powerful multi-point injection car has lower-gearing?
                      My name is Darren.
                      Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                      1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                      1995 Rover 214SI
                      2004 MG ZS 120
                      2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                      2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

Originally posted by Miracle maestro View Post
                        Winter is the time to appreciate the quick warm up characteristics of the 'K' series
                        Heater goes on when temp gauge up to warm- in about a mile and a half.
                        Couldn't agree more, the 75 is warm well before my wife drops me off at work 3 miles away Could definitely do with longer legs though...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
                          Couldn't agree more, the 75 is warm well before my wife drops me off at work 3 miles away Could definitely do with longer legs though...
                          I bought a 1.8 Rover 45 just before Christmas, just to get a set of 16-inch BRM-style alloys for my 25 (optional fitment on some 45s when new)

I thought I would take advantage of the rapid warm-up characteristics during this cold spell, as the heater on my 25 TD takes almost 5 miles to start producing anything worthwhile. Trouble is, the blower doesn't work
                          1983 (Y) MG 1600
                          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                          1990 Clubman D
                          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

The 16v has lower gearing than the 8v I think but otherwise I think the spi and the Mpi got the same ratios.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                              The 16v has lower gearing than the 8v I think but otherwise I think the spi and the Mpi got the same ratios.
                              My 1990 214 GSI SPI 16v has about 22MPH/1000rpm in 5th?
                              My 1995 214 SI MPI 16v has about 20MPH/1000Rpm in 5th?

The SPI has identical 5th gearing to my MG ZS 120.
                              My name is Darren.
                              Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                              1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                              1995 Rover 214SI
                              2004 MG ZS 120
                              2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                              2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

Working...
                              X