No announcement yet.

1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Allow me to introduce my latest wheels. I used to own this car about three years ago, I bought it from a scrapyard that the first owner had sent it to about 10 years after she stopped driving it. At the time, it had 29000 miles on the clock.

After about 18 months, having got it MOT'd, I sold it to a friend of mine (Gary) who used it as his daily up until recently when he realised he had too many cars and the Maestro wasn't getting used. He advertised it for sale, and had practically zero interest due to the fact that 1) it's a beige Maestro and 2) the MOT was out and it was a non runner. As there was a real danger of it falling into the wrong hands I decided to rescue it! I hired a car transporter and headed down to Brighton yesterday to collect it.

Loaded and ready to go:

Collecting the Maestro from Brighton by angrydicky, on Flickr

Collecting the Maestro from Brighton by angrydicky, on Flickr

Back home:

Arriving home by angrydicky, on Flickr

1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base by angrydicky, on Flickr

It's now in my garage patiently waiting for me to attend to the engine and bodywork.

Sleep tight! by angrydicky, on Flickr

The plan is simple really. First job is a really good clean, as it's absolutely filthy due to being parked under a tree for the last six weeks. Then get the engine running. The manual choke mechanism I fitted when I had it before is now broken in some way, which may or may not be causing the non running, I'm not sure yet. It also badly needs a service.

Eventually I'd like to fit two new front wings as the originals are somewhat crispy, two new rear arches as they've had some MOT welding done where the sill meets the arch, and on the sill too. When I get the car back to Southend I'll get that welded up properly. Once all this is done I'd like to do a lower half respray, and repaint the bumpers and wheels. Should look quite presentable then.
    Last edited by Richard H; 10th October 2013, 17:01.

Looks good, and I'm glad it's going to receive some love and affection. It doesn't look to be all that bad so should be looking fabulous without too much effort.

Has it had a front end knock at some point? The front panel behind the bumper looks to be too flat in profile.

Comment

I'd never actually noticed that until you pointed it out! Looking at some old photos of the car it looks like it was like that when I first got it. There's a dent in the middle of the valance too, perhaps that happened at the same time.

Comment

Looks great, can't be many early ones left like that.
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Well after quite a lot of hard work the Maestro is looking a lot better now. I started by giving the car a really good clean, inside and out, followed by a clay bar on the roof and bonnet to get rid of the tree sap and other mess. It still needs a coat of polish, but the surface is nice and smooth now, much better.

Unfortunately I then poked a crusty bit on one of the front wings. I'm in fairly urgent need of a replacement pair now if anyone can help?

It became clear the car had been involved in a minor bump at the front end, in addition to the bent front panel the grille was also broken and had been stuck back together with masking tape. My housemate repaired the grille for me, while I pulled out the front panel to the correct curvature.

I also sanded down the unsightly surface rust on the front valance and bumper. Eventually I'd like to replace the bumpers as they have deep rust pitting, but they'll do for the moment.

I then stripped down the front end ready for paint.

Headlight mounting area was pretty sound.

Primer:

Top coat:

Last edited by Richard H; 18th October 2013, 19:46.

Comment

Repainted bumper fitted:

Headlights back in and connected up:

And lastly the repaired grille refitted. I'm pleased to say it now lines up with the front panel properly, as it never has done in the three years I've known the car. I also managed to knock out the worst of the dented valance.

I'm quite pleased with the way the paintwork came out considering it was done in a cold lockup in October with aerosol cans. It certainly smartens it up a lot.
            Last edited by Richard H; 18th October 2013, 19:51.

Comment

Looks a little gem, at least he has a nice bed for the winter!! Well saved.

Comment

what happened to the pixs aas they have disapeared on my pc

Comment

I can see them - what a nice car too - great job so far!
                  M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

definitely a good job done!

it's good to see people spending time on these lower spec cars, we all like to see them, but not that many want to spend the time / money....

Andy
                    CURRENT FLEET:
                    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Thanks chaps! The lower spec models interest me more as they are the cars I remember from my childhood. I originally bought this car because it was the same model and age as the first car I ever rode in, my parents gold, B reg Maestro 1.3L, on the way back from the hospital in 1991. Having owned it before, I knew it was basically sound and well worth saving.

The delamination on the front numberplate had got worse since I sold it, also the original dealer sticker in the back window had faded badly and the tax disc holder would no longer stay in. I was recommended a company called DMB Graphics, who produce reproduction dealer sets for older cars, mainly Ford but apparently they will make anything to order if you supply some decent photographs and measurements of the original items.

Here's what the fellow at DMB knocked up for me:

All looked good, and these came through the post today!

I find them hard to fault really. Total cost including postage was about £37.50 I think. By the way, I have no connection with this company but I'm very pleased with the results. I hate seeing old cars with naff modern plates, they look horrible.

http://www.dmb.uk.com/cat/122/dealer-sets

Comment

Originally posted by Richard H View Post
                        I was recommended a company called DMB Graphics, who produce reproduction dealer sets for older cars, mainly Ford but apparently they will make anything to order if you supply some decent photographs and measurements of the original items.

Here's what the fellow at DMB knocked up for me:

All looked good, and these came through the post today!

I find them hard to fault really. Total cost including postage was about £37.50 I think. By the way, I have no connection with this company but I'm very pleased with the results. I hate seeing old cars with naff modern plates, they look horrible.

http://www.dmb.uk.com/cat/122/dealer-sets
                        That's fantastic. Think I'll contact them. I want a new rear number-plate for my Maestro Turbo, but like you, I don't want anything modern, it has to be absolutely smack-on original, including the dealer ID.
                        Regards
                        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Agreed Andy, fair play for spending time and money on a low spec model.
                          Extra brownie points for originality.
                          Wow absolutely loving those plates! - I too will be contacting them i think!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words chaps, much appreciated

I've just invested in a Disklok for it as well, I'd hate for some little b*****d to have it away after doing all this work on it!

Comment

They look great. Did you supply him with original plates and stickers or did he have those on file?

Comment

Working...
                              X