Clear All

• 1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS - B756 XBW

Make & Model: Austin Montego 2.0HLS 85MY
    Date of Registration: 25th April 1985
    Supplying Dealer: Hartwells Of Oxford Ltd
    Original Owner: Youngs Garages (Woodstock) Ltd
    Colour: Clove Brown
    Interior Trim: Caramel

Some of you may recognise this car from eBay recently. It appeared destined for scrap. In a moment of utter madness, I decided that "it must be saved!!" purely due to the fact that it is a ridiculously rare HLS model.

The car has been off the road since 1999, I am told due to a failing water pump and oil pump. I have yet to attempt to start the car. Updates on that will follow.

Body wise, the car is quite solid structurally, but is cosmetically challenged. There is superficial rust in most places. The only awkward repair areas that I have found so far, are behind the rear lights in the rear quarters. I have found evidence of rust and fibre glass filler here. Otherwise, if it can be made to run nicely, and the rest of the bodywork is relatively sound, it may prove a viable project.

It comes with no paperwork, no history, not even a set of keys! I am hoping to fill in some of the blanks as I go along...

Pics to follow...
    Last edited by Ed; 3rd July 2015, 15:27. Reason: Adding Original Dealer/Owner details
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Adding some initial pics of the Brown Beast!
    Attached Files

Comment

Good to see you've well and truly fallen off the wagon again Ed

Mmm 80s-tastic!

Comment

Must admit I liked that when I saw it but the usual space & money thing. Surely being an HLS it should have the big soft front headrests? I know the early Maestro HLS had the A frames but not Montego.

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
          Must admit I liked that when I saw it but the usual space & money thing. Surely being an HLS it should have the big soft front headrests? I know the early Maestro HLS had the A frames but not Montego.
          Yep, it's got incorrect headrests in it. Goodness knows what happened to the originals. I am on the look out for a correct pair. Although not fancying my chances.

Comment

If you find a grotty old pair of soft headrests and get them re-trimmed in leather (or fabric) that is a close match, then that would probably the best you can do at the moment.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

so when you selling the Countryman
              Sure & steadfast.
              BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
              1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
              1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
                so when you selling the Countryman
                Never

Comment

When was the HLS registered? If it was before Oct 1984 then the trim would be Sandpiper. Mink was a post Oct 88 colour and you wouldn't be able to get the large D shaped head reatraints in Mink, therefore.
                  M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    When was the HLS registered? If it was before Oct 1984 then the trim would be Sandpiper. Mink was a post Oct 88 colour and you wouldn't be able to get the large D shaped head reatraints in Mink, therefore.
                    It was registered in April 1985. Ah, I assumed Mink was the name from beginning to end. Perhaps this will help with my search. Thanks Simon.

Comment

Then it's Caramel, Ed. Mink replaced Coffee Beige and was far lighter.
                      Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                      E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                      H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                      J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                      L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                      OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                      PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                        Then it's Caramel, Ed. Mink replaced Coffee Beige and was far lighter.
                        I'm confused...

Comment

Someone just go and look in the brochure!

Comment

But the Lady prefers Mink
                            Sure & steadfast.
                            BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                            1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                            1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

At March 1985 then the interior would be the Caramel/Bitter Chocolate combination, as Sam rightly suggested. This is good news because there is more chance of getting a head restraint in the Caramel colour, as Maestros were also thus specified. You'll therefore be looking for a plain velvet one off a 1985-87 Maestro or Montego HL, HLS, Mayfair and VP (pre leather of course for the latter designation)! Coffee Beige replaced Caramel in 1987.
                              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                              X