Hexie (Maestro VP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexie (Maestro VP)

So now that I'm no longer spares coordinator and my garage is no longer full of racks and racks of Maestro parts I've had a chance to reorganise both garages and have at long last uncovered my Vanden Plas which has spent years languishing in the old garage, part-repaired, covered in boxes, bits of carpet etc.

Looking at the tax disc, it seems to have been TWELVE YEARS since he was last on the road! And so I think it's time he got the attention he deserved. So I've spent a few weekends starting to strip out the interior, including mouse nest debris, as well as taking off all removable panels. The doors and tailgate need replacing (and I have brand new ones waiting), the bonnet and front wings also have replacements ready if needed and I have more Prussian blue plastic trim than I can shake a stick at (anyone need any?!?). The more I've taken out of the car, the more it's become obvious that a bare metal strip-and-dip resto is the way to go to properly future-proof the car and get everything done properly.

Before Hexie was mothballed, he had full rear quarters and boot floor, so a lot of the complicated bodywork is 80% or so done. There are some holy bits in the footwells and a few bits in the roof channels that need rebuilding but otherwise the bodywork's pretty good. Oh, and the sills are knackered.

Felt quite emotional sitting in the driver's seat (before I took it out) and looking at this view. It's been far too long...

Moused rear footwell

Worryingly crusty floor section

Finding out the hard way that unlike the Mk2 dash (which I had to take apart om Muddle at the beginning of the year to replace the heater matrix), you DO have to remove the steering column to get the Mk1 dash out!

Nearly out

Rear floor is nasteee

Aftermarket alarm (which will be going) and associated electrical spaghetti

Start of this past weekend

And the end...

Big jobs coming up: draining everything, remove heater, pedal box, engine, brakes, suspension... then get the shell blasted/dipped to see what we're left with!
    A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
    Maestro Camper Van
    Maestro 1.3L
    Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Best of luck with it, Maria! We all had those alloys on our cars back in the day. 12 years later, they look good on MGs but awful on cars that are not supposed to have them (IMO)
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

This is good news. Thinking back, I vaguely recall Hexie being one of my first proper experiences of a Maestro when Maria very kindly took me for a ride after MG'M' '99, this club's first show. So a car I remember fondly. Best of luck!
      Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
      2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Must have been nice to actually get to Hexie let alone start on the dismantling!

I look forward to more pictures of the good work!

Comment

Muddle has hit the road too this year for the first time since 2007 or so. He needs a bit of tidying but touch fake walnut dash capping the two will be back to 100% with cosy garages to live in very soon
          A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
          Maestro Camper Van
          Maestro 1.3L
          Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

Working...
          X