Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Tony Pond the only 'works' Maestro driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Tony Pond the only 'works' Maestro driver?

I thought Tony Dron might have been a works driver as well, but having re-read the magazine article on his approx '87/88 Lombard RAC Rally campaigns in an MG Maestro, I see that this was backed by the MGOC and there's no evidence of works support for his drive.

As such, I believe that Pond was the only works MG Maestro driver -any thoughts?

A chap called John McCulloch also drove the car (which is now owned by Pablo) not sure how much he drove it or in what events but in 1987 I was on my mums drive on a quiet road in Guisborough setting up the carbs on my MG1600 (the normal weekly thing!) and it drove past our house. Was quite shocked to see a car that was on a poster in the garage to be there in real life.
    Not sure if the care went on to someone else after him

Comment

Am I right in saying that Tony Pond was the only 'works' Maestro rally driver? Were there ever any works race Maestros? I imagine that the guest car in the Challenge (driven by Damon Hill, Malcolm Wilson etc.) might have been a works car?

Comment

[Answer from Pablo follows]

Damon Hill and Malcolm Wilson's drives were also in D129 OOE [Tony Pond's old works Maestro -now owned by Pablo]

There was B810AOX which was originally a press car and then prepared as a 'celebrity' car in red, white and blue also. Mylchreest bought it and had it regd as D22MAN in the IOM.

Gary Brabham drove B810 against Damon Hill. It was also driven by Will Gollop

Comment

Working...
        X