Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR's motorsport magazine ('Rover Sport News'?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR's motorsport magazine ('Rover Sport News'?)

David Smith has tipped me off about an "AR published a magazine with all the news about their competition and motorsport activities, I *think* about 10 issues a year (or maybe it was bi-monthly) - I've asked about it on the ARonline site for you."

Here's the response he got:
    http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/foru...ne/#post-28474

Anyone know anything about it, or where I can get any copies of this publication? I'm particularly interested in any that cover the Austin Rover Rally Sprints at Donington Park in the early 80s...

Originally posted by John C View Post
    David Smith has tipped me off about an "AR published a magazine with all the news about their competition and motorsport activities, I *think* about 10 issues a year (or maybe it was bi-monthly) - I've asked about it on the ARonline site for you."

Here's the response he got:
    http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/foru...ne/#post-28474

Anyone know anything about it, or where I can get any copies of this publication? I'm particularly interested in any that cover the Austin Rover Rally Sprints at Donington Park in the early 80s...
    I might have one or two copies from about 1995 although these only covered the R8 Rover 220 Coupe Turbo campaigned in the Dunlop Rover Turbo Championships. I have nothing before this date, I'm afraid.

Perhaps try a search on eBay?

Comment

As an example of how to do it, the Safety Fast magazines produced for the Abingdon sportscar range, (Healeys big and small, and all MGs, with plenty on the Competitions Department Mini Coopers, 1800s, etc) was simply infectious, with good writers, bound copies go for quite a bit these days, and the interviews with drivers and mechanics were a fascinating insight into the BMC competitions dept. It was dropped by Lord Stokes, when everything became Leyland, and the shine had been lost with the demise of the Mini's motor-sport successes, and replaced with a general interest magazine called High Road - it didnt last long. (and copies of that are pretty rare).

Comment

Interesting -thank you. Would you be able to hazard a guess at what sort of dates SAFETY FAST and then HIGH ROAD magazines start and finish?

Comment

I have 1 or 2 somewhere, if I get time I will look.
          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

rover sport news came out circa 89 or 90. It was when the 'motorsport' dept revamped the challenge series from the metro and maestro to the metro GTi and rover GTi challenge's. The metro GTi took over the multi dissapline series from the Maestro and the 216 GTi from the metro turbos this being the full on race series.
            They did however still support privateers using rover products even non current ones

Comment

what happened to the archives from Rover when it shut - there must of been heaps of info and copies of all these publications (on microfiche no doubt)...

Is it all at that Gaydon Museum?

Andy
              CURRENT FLEET:
              1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
              1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
              1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
              2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
              1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                what happened to the archives from Rover when it shut - there must of been heaps of info and copies of all these publications (on microfiche no doubt)...

Is it all at that Gaydon Museum?

Andy
                Any spare hard copies would have been ditched long ago, probably when the Rover Group parted company with BMW Group in 2000, as a lot of obsolete material was definetely thrown out.

The microfiche copies will have likely been handed over the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. Perhaps contact Richard Brutherton to see what they currently have in their archive?
                Last edited by David3500; 20th December 2011, 10:22.

Comment

I'd have thought it would have been on Microfiche anyway - just becase it ould have been easier to store. It's a shame if anything got chucked without saving as a microfiche or digital - such a wealth of info gone
                  CURRENT FLEET:
                  1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                  1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                  1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                  2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                  1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Thanks guys.

I've contacted Gaydon, and I can also add the following piece to the jigsaw as a result of the excellent and very generous help I received from Ian Elliott:

-In the info he posted me there were numerous AR motorsport bulletins/newsletters entitled 'RACECARD'. Several were produced per year, and one of them is visible on this thread, FYI:
                    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11941
                    [see the post made on 26th September 2009, 22:25]

Comment

i have one or 2 from the 1993 1994 season that you can have if you like

Comment

Thank yu for posting this link and I am glad you were able to make contact with Ian.

Have you had any success contacting John Davenport, Austin Rover Group's head of Motorsport?

Comment

Originally posted by henocsr View Post
                          i have one or 2 from the 1993 1994 season that you can have if you like
                          Yes please! PM sent...

I have yet to unearth a way of making contact with John Davenport. No-one has yet proven to be untraceable though...

Comment

pm me when you ready for them

Comment

Working...
                            X