Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silverstone Racing School's MG Maestro 1600s -anyone know anything about 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message from Peter Chappell. Thought I'd say Hi to Steve and John as ex competitors at the Silverstone Racing Drivers School. I see you read my piece on the MG Maestros that they used John and thought I'd say Hello.
    Last edited by peter31; 28th December 2013, 10:32. Reason: to put my name in

Comment

Excellent -great to hear from you, Peter!

For the benefit of the other Silverstone MG Maestro alumni, here's what Peter wrote:

peter chappell - October 11, 2012
      These MG Maestros’ were sold to the then Silverstone Racing Drivers School for both tuition and school races in 1984 and 85 before being replaced by MG Montegos. I gained my Racing driving licence in these cars and went on to do 6 of the school races including one on the old full GP circuit with the flat out Abbey Curve; even in an MG Maestro if a bit sideways.. I then went on to do 16 races in an 2.0 MG Maestro in the MGOC race series between 1990 and 92 having aquired the car from my local Rover dealer who had used it in Rovers Maestro challenge, a series which included rallies and circuit racing. I even had sponsorship from Rover Sport to assist. Great cars, I have to say even better than my current 400 series and very easy to work on.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars...estro-2-0-efi/

Comment

Hi Peter. Good to see you on here! Cheers/Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, good to read about your recent racing exploits.

A few photos of the ex MG Maestro Challenge Car I brought from Colliers of Erdington for use in the MGOC Championship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	288362 Thruxton in the rain. Set up as used in the MG Maestro Challenge.

Name:	IMG.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	288361 Thruxton in the dry.. Lowered suspension.

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	288363 Thruxton again.

Note the car aerial, the radio was always on when I raced too. A bit of entertainment for the marshals.
          The only retirement I had was going through Gerards at Mallory when the fuel cut out, I costed to a stop by the marshals post and lept over the armco, much to the marshals amusement, only to be offered tea and biscuits ! Once it had cooled down it re-started first time.
          Last edited by peter31; 8th January 2014, 14:04.

Comment

Youtube clip of the day Leslie Ash came to join the Silverstone Racing School in a Maestro race. September 1985

Comment

Well spotted, Sir!

Here's the full video:
              Leslie Ash challenge to sport (motor racing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m81hpeskNlU

It's a really good feature, actually, worth watching in full.

Comment

Working...
              X