No announcement yet.

Africa Rally Maestro progress thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit, that having read the latest reports stating that they only bust a bonnet pin on what is described as "The road from hell".........

I am really proud to have been involved in a minor way with this car.

The girls are doing exceptionally well considering the competition and the endurance factors.

Mal.

Comment

^^^WHS. I'd just like them to finish.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Day 1. 2nd overall
        Day 2. 2nd overall
        Day 3. 4th overall
        Day 4. 4th overall
        Day 5. 4th overall
        Day 6. 4th overall
        Day 7.
        Day 8. 4th overall
        Day 9.
        Day 10. 5th overall
        Day 11. 5th overall
        Day 12. 5th overall
        Day 13. 5th overall
        Day 14. 5th overall
        Day 15. 5th overall
        Day 16. 8th overall (Broken accelerator cable, and a fuel pipe leak). Still 2nd in class though
        Day 17. 11th overall (One of only 21 vehicles to finish the final stage within the time allowance)
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Yes John, we did - and I'll thank you for all the biscuits you used to bring in, again! How's things?
          Vince out there today servicing i hear?

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
            Day 17. 11th overall (One of only 21 vehicles to finish the final stage within the time allowance)
            results revised overnight, now showing 10th overall
            :-)
            to paraphrase Winston Churchill - some car, some driver.
            not forgetting an extremely good navigator too.
            midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Fowkes View Post
              Yes John, we did - and I'll thank you for all the biscuits you used to bring in, again! How's things?
              Vince out there today servicing i hear?
              Hi Andy,

I only visited once and I don't remember bringing any biscuits -you must be thinking of someone else!

See my post from 17th December 2011, 13:19 on this thread for a picture of me and your old man in the workshop next to the Maestro...
              http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...=15135&page=14

Here's a quote from the girls yesterday off this site http://www.londoncapetownrally.com/reports.shtml:
              Jane Edgington and Gill Cotton were the first small car to reach Nairobi. They have a bonnet pin torn out by vibration. Jane said "it's the only thing broken but it's crying out for some service ...I now know what hell looks like, truly dreadful road ...it's an amazing car, I just don't know how it got here. There's carnage out there."
              Last edited by John C; 18th January 2012, 21:10.

Comment

Comment

That means they've got about 2,500 miles left I guess?

COME ON GIRLS!!!!!!
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

John - my apologies, I had my wires crossed! Sorry, I do remember your visit and emails.
                    Looks like they've safely got through another day

Comment

And back up another position,

Now listed as 9th overall and still 2nd in class.

Comment

I got a text earlier saying that it had been hit by another car (car 10) and had a damaged rear light but seems not to have dented their performance much

Comment

Well there not in Tenth anymore!.......... :mrgreen:

Syd Stelvio Wrote on the E.R.A. Daily Report:
                          The rocky mountain climb saw Alastair Caldwell split his fuel tank, he slowed just enough to give Jane Edgington her finest moment so far… driving a Maestro in an overtaking sweep past the Porsche on a timed mountain climb.
                          The top ten now reads: 1:Actman, Hilux; 2:Blunt, Impreza; 3:Cauwenberge, Porsche; 4:Tomlin, Land Rover; 5:Turner, MG ZR; 6:Beckers, Landcruiser; 7:Caldwell, Porsche; 8:Edgington, Maestro; 9:Atherton, Volvo; 10:Claeys, Toyota 73

Way to go girls!...

Comment

Not wanting to take the subject off topic, but this is the kind of thing which should be on TV, to show what our cars, and other older cars, are capable of, instead of scripted Top Gear stunts which give gullible viewers the impression that any car over ten years old can barely travel 25 miles from home without breaking down.
                            Regards
                            John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                              Not wanting to take the subject off topic, but this is the kind of thing which should be on TV, to show what our cars, and other older cars, are capable of, instead of scripted Top Gear stunts which give gullible viewers the impression that any car over ten years old can barely travel 25 miles from home without breaking down.
                              Could not agree more.

Comment

Tracker still showing them in Mbeya....They're not - they're fine. Tracker gone for a Burton....They safely got through today's stage.
                                Getting hot now. They've had fuel vapourizing probs, but from what I can gather, switching to a secondary electric fuel pump has helped.
                                Tailgate knocked about a bit but the vibe is very much +ve!
                                Keep it up girls. Don't see red. What you are doing is bloody amazing on those roads

Comment

Working...
                                X