Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New association for motorsport cars of Leyland, Austin, Rover and associated marques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New association for motorsport cars of Leyland, Austin, Rover and associated marques

I am pleased to announce the establishment of a group for those interested in British Leyland & Austin/Rover/MG motorsport.

The encouragement of a number of people (not to mention a very positive response to my display stand at Race Retro 2012), has led me to believe that recent momentum can be captured into a fledgling organisation, that will then hopefully grow over time.

SITUATION
    It became clear to many of us in the MMOC & MG 'M' Group clubs (of which I am a member of both) that there is little capturing of the history of Leyland/Austin Rover motorsport (for example there are few books, especially compared to other marques), and much of it is being lost as the participants thin out. As such, a couple of us have resolved to glean as much as possible and pool it for posterity (available to any interested parties), as historical material for future value. The development of an association will help formalise this process, raise awareness of the topic, and provide a focal point for others.

ISSUE
    There are various relevant marque and/or model clubs e.g. the Rover SD1 Club, but there is no club that draws together all the various competition vehicles from the various associated marques. Additionally, the general public do not always make the link between the array of different marques e.g. few would naturally associate the humble rally Austin Allegro with the mighty Austin Rover MG Metro 6R4, despite their shared heritage. The various marques’ motorsport activities were diverse and often impressive, but the more unusual and esoteric vehicles are in danger of being forgotten, engineering/tuning techniques lost, and even vehicles disappear forever with the passage of time.

Relevant competition vehicles include:

BMC/BL/Austin/Rover/Morris Mini
    Austin Healey inc. Sprite (Frogeye) & 3000
    Landcrab
    Austin Allegro
    Triumph Dolomite Sprint
    Triumph TR7 V8
    Jaguar inc. D-type, E-type, XJ-S, XJR-11 & 220
    Land Rover inc. Range Rover (Paris-Dakar)
    Rover SD1 V8
    Rover 200 Tomcat
    Rover 216
    Rover 827 Vitesse
    MGB
    MG Maestro
    MG Montego
    MG Montego 6R4 (A little known privateer vehicle)
    MG Metro
    MG Metro 6R4
    MG ZR
    MGF
    MG ZS
    MINI John Cooper works WRC (Included as the MINI was developed by MG Rover while owned by BMW, is now produced at the former Rover plant in Cowley, the marque remained under BMW's ownership, and the car is widely marketed and recognised as the successor to the original Mini))
    MG6 GT

[and many more]

NAME
    I am considering naming the organisation either:
    British Leyland & Austin Rover Motorsport Association (BLARMA)
    or
    British Leyland & Austin Rover Group motorsport association (BLARGMA )

However, the above does not obviously include the post Austin-Rover era (MG Rover and MINI marques), so it's not perfect (but to include all marques might make it quite a mouthful). Ideally, the name needs to have an acronym that rolls off the tongue.

Other alternatives include:
    Cowley, Longbridge & Abingdon Marques Motorsport Association (but this name would exclude cars from other factories e.g. British Leyland's Jaguar & Land Rover)

MG, Leyland & Austin Rover Motorsport Association (MGLARMA) The acronym is reasonably pronouncable & it's not too bad at including the MG Rover era.

Leyland Legacy Motorsport Association (LLMA) It's not immediately clear that the association includes marques from the post-Leyland era.

However, if you have any other suggestions for the name, please let me know!

SCOPE
    The term ‘Associated Marque’ is defined as any marque falling within British Leyland, its predecessors (or successors) e.g. Austin, Nuffield, Austin Rover Group, Rover Group & MG Rover, MINI etc. and includes the following:
    Austin
    Austin-Healey
    BMC
    British Leyland
    Jaguar
    Land Rover
    Leyland
    MG
    MINI
    Morris
    Rover
    Riley
    Triumph
    Wolseley
    Vanden-Plas

MISSION
    The objective of the Association shall be to preserve and promote the history & future of Associated Marque motorsport.

ELIGIBILITY
    Any person who fits into any of the following categories is eligible to join the association:
    • A past or present competitor of an Associated Marque vehicle (works, privateer or clubman cars)
    • Worked for or was involved in the motorsport activities of an Associated Marque team (works, privateer or clubman)
    • Is an enthusiast of Associated Marque motorsport cars & activities

CAR ELIGIBILITY
    A car wishing to be listed under the Association's register must comply with all the following criteria:
    a) Have been produced by an Associated Marque
    b) Have been modified for the purpose of competing in motorsport
    c) Have competed in some form of motorsport competition (Autotest & Autosolo cars are eligible but Track Day cars are not)

N.B. Cars not complying with b) above will be considered on their merits if they have a suitably interesting competition background e.g. a standard car which has competed in prestigious Historic Road rallies would be considered.

OUTLINE OF PLAN
    a) Establish a website & forum
    b) Provide links to other relevant websites, marque owners clubs etc.
    c) Provide an online museum & information resource
    d) Expand membership
    e) Expand the pool of post-holders (i.e. those who contribute to the running/work of the association)
    f) Orchestrate car display stands at selected shows (e.g. Race Retro, Classic Car shows & marque-specific owner days etc. It is hoped to have a range of competition cars at show displays spanning various marques and decades e.g. a Triumph Dolomite Sprint/TR7 V8, an MG Maestro, a Rover SD1, an Austin Mini, a Metro 6R4, an MG ZS and a MINI circuit racer would make a good display.
    g) Garner publicity wherever possible

WHAT WE NEED
    a) People to scan and upload any photos, memorabilia, magazine clippings or other info on any of the above
    b) Digital recordings of verbal recollections/interviews, videos etc. from people who have competed (or been a team member) with Associated Marque vehicles
    c) A volunteer to collate & archive electronic or paper copies of the docs
    d) Volunteers to stand for positions such as Treasurer, Membership Secretary etc.
    e) People to exhibit suitable cars at shows under the Association banner to raise awareness & profile
    f) Articles for website and/or newsletter

SPECIFIC REQUESTS
    Are you (or any of your contacts) able to offer us any assistance with the following (or leads on how to achieve the aims), please?
    a) Getting a website up & running
    b) Commissioning design of an Association emblem
    c) Commissioning some banners/flags (displaying the Association emblem) & outdoor display boards that people can take to shows
    d) Any publicity/media opportunities

I would be very grateful if you can assist or advise in any way.

Yours sincerely,
    John Clayton

Annex A: BACKGROUND INFORMATION

My day job is as an RAF Officer, and I am also the Manager of the Armed Forces Rally Team, but one of my spare time interests is doing historical research on Austin Rover (AR) motorsport. I am particularly interested in the AR Rally Sprints at Donington Park; and Tony Pond’s motorsport career/links with AR.

My interest stems from becoming the owner of 3 works MG Maestro 1600s from the ‘83 BBC ‘Austin Rover Rally Sprint’ (1 of which was raced by Tony Pond), and I have recently got into rally-sprinting with one of the cars. There is a blog on my car (with photos) here:

Maestro & Montego Owners Club > General Forums > Motorsport > BLOG MY RIDE: MG Maestro 1600 rally car

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...142#post138142

I did a display on MG Maestro motorsport (including one of my cars) at the prestigious historic motorsport show Race Retro in Coventry Fri 24 to Sun 26 Feb 12. The display was a great success and showed the interest in this oft-overlooked marque.

I recently made contact with the father of the late, great Tony Pond and was honoured to be entrusted with an array of Tony’s memorabilia. Mr Lewis Pond also strongly encouraged me to perpetuate the memory of Tony’s rallying achievements through show displays etc.

I compete myself in 3 Associated Marque vehicles; an Austin Mini, an MG Maestro 1600, and a Land Rover Defender 90.
    Last edited by John C; 30th March 2012, 16:01.

Pablo Raybould (owner of the ex-works Tony Pond 2.0 Efi) and Philip Young (director of the Endurance Rally Association, ex-works Rover SD1 owner, and mastermind of the London-Cape Town Rally Maestro campaign) are onboard.

Philip and I are meeting up again at the Ace Cafe http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/ (North Circular Road Stonebridge, LONDON, NW10 7UD) on Saturday 24 March from 1100-1200 to discuss the Association and how to move things forward.

If anyone would like to join us for the above, you would be very welcome.

Comment

I would be interested in becoming a member. I serviced for a mini miglia car, a mini rally car and a st helens ford 1275 gt mini and also ran an mg metro road rally car myself

Comment

Cheers Russ, just the sort of person we are looking for! Do PM me your details and I'll keep you in the loop as to how things are developing.

Nick Stafford is onboard; an ex-Austin Rover dealer mechanic & Rover SD1 clubman rally driver (also a prolific rally car builder and a handy rally driver).

Comment

Mike Bishop has indicated his support; he competes in a Triumph Dolomite Sprint, and also has a Triumph Mk2 2.5PI a Herald.

He also flagged up that there was an excellent celebration of the 1970 London to Capetown World Cup Rally at the British Motor Heritage Centre Centre, Gaydon involving a one off gathering of ex works BL cars. It was organised in part by a couple of his friends in the Triumph Club -see http://wcr40.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by John C View Post
            Mike Bishop has indicated his support; he competes in a Triumph Dolomite Sprint, and also has a Triumph Mk2 2.5PI a Herald.

He also flagged up that there was an excellent celebration of the 1970 London to Capetown World Cup Rally at the British Motor Heritage Centre Centre, Gaydon involving a one off gathering of ex works BL cars. It was organised in part by a couple of his friends in the Triumph Club -see http://wcr40.org.uk/
            Nearly 2,000 attended - I was involved in getting the national promotion into the mags. Chief Driver was Ted Taylor (a founder member of the historic rallycar register), it celebrated the first World Cup Rally from London to Mexico, 1970. A considerable number of cars were found from various long-distance marathons which made a terrific display. It underlines the interest there is in forming the BMC/Leyland Motorsport Group.

Comment

Philip and I met up at the Ace Cafe on Saturday to discuss the way forward.

One of the things we looked at was the name, and we considered some other options e.g.
              BMC & Leyland Marques Motorsport Group (BLMMG) [pronounced 'Bullmog'!]
              BMC Marques Motorsport Group (BMMG)

The difficulty is in including so many different marques that have been around from the 50s to the present day.

Another option might be to call it:
              Cowley, Longbridge & Abingdon Marques Motorsport Group (CLAMMG)

or the longer title (albeit with a better acronym) of:
              Cowley, Longbridge & Abingdon Marques Motorsport Association (CLAMMA)

the only problem is that the above doesn't cover Jaguar or Land Rover stuff, so perhaps the following is more 'all-embracing':
              BMC Marques Motorsport Association (BMMA)
              or
              BMC-origin Marques Motorsport Association (BOMMA)
              Last edited by John C; 1st July 2012, 20:07.

Comment

Philip Young, me and several eminent people connected with Leyland motorsport will be at this event:
                http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...345#post148345

-do join us if you can!

Comment

I would be interested in getting involved. I own a Mk1 Sprite (frogeye) which I believe is on your list of acceptable cars. Although it is a road car, it is regularly Sprinted and also used on Autosolos and I have been lucky enough to have a few class wins and awards. In addition I am also the editor of the Midget & Sprite Club's monthly magazine "Mascot".
                  I look forward to hearing from you. I wish I'd known about the meeting at the Ace Cafe as it is just down the rroad from me (Camden).
                  Gary
                  1958 Frogeye (mostly)

Comment

Hi Gary -You (and other Sprite competitors) would be most welcome!

Comment

BTW, a major rallyschool have got a rally Allegro for sale on eBay at the mo, and it's attracting some reasonable bids...

AUSTIN ALLEGRO CLASSIC RALLY CAR
                      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:SS:GB:1

Comment

Great,
                        Do you have my contact details?
                        I also run the database of UK registered Mk1 Sprites if anyone is interested
                        www.frogeye.smugmug.com

Comment

Gary -do PM me your contact details when you have a mo.

BTW, a major rallyschool have got a rally Allegro for sale on eBay at the mo, and it's attracting some reasonable bids...

AUSTIN ALLEGRO CLASSIC RALLY CAR
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:SS:GB:1
                          I've just stumbled across a RallySport magazine article from the mid 90s on the works rally Allegro, as it happens.

The one above made £695.00 [ 19 bids ] which is quite remarkable, really. Definitely not one of BL's better cars (or rally cars).

Comment

1970 Austin Maxi World Cup Rally Car. ' Genuine Car & A Piece of History '

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123

£13,211.00 36 bids (but reserve not met so it's been relisted)
                            Last edited by John C; 18th April 2012, 16:40.

Comment

1970 Austin Maxi World Cup Rally Car. ' Genuine Car & A Piece of History '

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123

24 bids and £9400 already (but reserve still not met)
                              I may be mistaken but i saw this car in Classic and sportscar today and the ad in the for sale section. I think the asking price was £29950.

Also for sale recently was the 1968 London-Sydney 1800 (land crab) for £25000.

Comment

Working...
                              X