1994 Clubman D - Rust 2 Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Clubman D - Rust 2 Rome

As some may have already seen, this July, myself and a friend plan to drive my old maestro from Edinburgh to Rome, approx 4500 miles is 14 days!

We are raising money for the British Lung Foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/EmilyAndJohnRust2Rome/

Will post up updates on here for your thoughts and advice!!

A bit of back ground on the car.

December 2011 I advertised my Skoda Felicia Fun forsale. Had a few enquires, but one from a chap wanting a swap for a Maestro, at first I laughed, but the more he described it, the better it sounded, so 2nd january 2012, I'm heading for York in the Felicia for a swap with the Maestro!

The car was soon dubbed, "The Juke" due to its number plate and I ran it daily for the next 10 months, I had a few small problems, the radiator bursting, rear shock collapsing, fuel pump seising, core plug bursting, 4 wheel bearings gone, but I had by now covered 10k miles so was par for the course.
    In August I got the chance of a Cheep TDI Focus, and so decided to then sell the Maestro, sadly no takers, a few silly offers and one test pilot later, the maestro was parked up at a mates farm, until I could find a buyer. It lay there from August 2012 till March 2013, pretty much forgotten about.

So March 2013 rolls round, seeking new adventures, I remember about Rust 2 Rome [ www.rust2rome.com ] a 2 week banger adventure covering 4500 miles, "The Juke" would be perfect, deposit now paid, we have 2 months to get it sorted.

A few photos:

Lush interior

The beating heart 2.0 ltr Perkins Turbo

Needs some alloys next

Please give us a like on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheJukeGoesToRome

Comment

Done some work this weekend to the car.

Got the roof rack sorted out, brackets made for the spot lamps!

Roof rack is sitting on my Mk2 Fiesta, so looks bigger than it is!

Still looking for a pair of roof bars tho to mount this to!!
      Last edited by trocse; 29th April 2013, 09:25.

Comment

Road taxed the car today, been off the road since August, but shouldnt need much to get it going again, good run mostly!

£123 tho, made my eye's water a bit

Comment

I used to see your car most mornings when I worked at Mercury. Good to see it kicking about and the trip should be great fun!

Comment

Outstanding! Excellent powerful and frugal cars, the TDi Maestros. I had a Sherpa van that I put one of their engines in -really good.

Comment

Done some work to the car in preparation for the trip!

Roof rack on, i have since received the correct roof bars so its its up off the roof!

Looking for a pair of lamps with covers for the front bumper now!

As mentioned in a previous post, there was excessive travel on the Handbrake, here is what i found:

New shoes have been ordered, and will be fitting at the weekend!

Rear arches were showing some blisters, but no where near needing replaced, so started on repainting them also

Also this week i picked up new suspension from a forum member, i have since fitted the rears, and plan to do the fronts tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by trocse View Post
                Done some work to the car in preparation for the trip!

Roof rack on, i have since received the correct roof bars so its its up off the roof!

Looking for a pair of lamps with covers for the front bumper now!

As mentioned in a previous post, there was excessive travel on the Handbrake, here is what i found:

New shoes have been ordered, and will be fitting at the weekend!

Rear arches were showing some blisters, but no where near needing replaced, so started on repainting them also

Also this week i picked up new suspension from a forum member, i have since fitted the rears, and plan to do the fronts tonight!

I have been watching your progress with interest - where in Fife are you - we could wave you off come July!!
                1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                1989 BMW 316i
                2013 BMW 320d Touring
                2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Im along the coast in Methil, im using the car most evening's and weekends, so if you see us about, give us a wave!

Comment

Looking good. If I knew you were after some lights for the bumper id have said I had some. They are rectangle ones like whats fitted on turbo front bumpers

Comment

Originally posted by g200mss #146 View Post
                      Looking good. If I knew you were after some lights for the bumper id have said I had some. They are rectangle ones like whats fitted on turbo front bumpers
                      They would have been ideal if they have back's on them?

Comment

Got some more work done on "The Juke"

Got the front struts changed, the spring compressors decided to move once they were clamped down, bit of a brown trouser moment, but got it sorted

Half way through, the rain started! soaked to the skin,

Back up at the Farm, sitting on 4 new shocks, its like a monster truck!

Got some plywood sides cut for the roof rack, the maestro wasn't at the house, so the XR2 was called in as a substitute!

Just need to paint them, and get them stickered up

Just over 6 weeks left to go before we set off!

If you have not already, please see our Facebook Page - there is a link in the first post along side our JustGiving page

Thanks

Comment

Not much to report this week, MOT tomorrow, so need to look at a few things tonight.

Took the car out for some photo's before I cover it in Stickers:

We received 2 CG-Locks this week for our trip, if you are into doing Track days etc and don't have a Harness, its worth looking at investing in one of these, nice little bit of kit, fitted mine lastnight and less sliding about in the seat on roundabouts and twisty country roads

www.cg-lock.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/saferseatbelt?fref=ts

Comment

Good work. Will investigate the CG lock things for off-roading

Comment

Not had an update in a while

Installed Roofrack with Spotlight, got 4 more to fit to the bumper!

Go faster stripe aswell, still some other stickers to go on this week!

CB Radio installed and CD player installed

Please give us a like on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheJukeGoesToRome

Comment

Working...
                              X