Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seen this? BBC How Safe are Britain's Roads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seen this? BBC How Safe are Britain's Roads?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nqccq

Absolutely mind boggling stupidity.

The link is to the first of the two programmes.

I particularly liked when the male presenter damned an Austin 1100 on a motorway, making it out to be capable of only 65mph. Never mind that it is a slightly larger version of a Mini with all that says about how capable the chassis is. His own car in which he carries his four children, then turned out to have badly under inflated nearly illegally bald tyres. He didn't know what the pressures should be and couldn't remember the last time he checked them! Oh, and his seven year old Renault Scenic is basically a banger according to him.

The Coventry stuff is absolutely insane. I live near there and I visit as little as possible. A man was killed by a bus on one of their 'improvements' last year. They charged the bus driver. In America it is called Jay Walking. The idiot behind it is shown encouraging the presenter to to walk backwards into a busy junction where they removed all road markings/signs and traffic lights. They have lots of empty shop units in the city centre and they have just abolished all so called free (actually paid for by road tax) parking. That will improve things and have people flocking to them!

Not mentioned in the programmes:
    Large cuts in the road policing budget.
    Speed cameras that have large death reduction claims by the local police force areas, but the national figures for actual deaths/injuries are roughly static. One set of figures has to be wrong. The Police (who always tell the truth) have a financial interest in Speed sorry 'Safety' cameras.
    The UK has lowest rate of public road safety spending in Western Europe.

Not long ago cyclists proposed a law that said in any accident between a car and cyclist or pedestrian, that the car driver should automatically be blamed, as is the case in Europe. In Europe they have built proper cycle routes instead of councils just getting out their pots of paint.

I have an idea for road safety; why not take all that spare tarmac that they pile on the road in lumps and fill all those pot holes with it?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilBill View Post
      I have an idea for road safety; why not take all that spare tarmac that they pile on the road in lumps and fill all those pot holes with it?
      Ha ha best way of describing a speed bump as a waste of Tarmac lol

Comment

Speed bumps and pot holes bust the spring on my Golf. Now it has failed the MOT.

Sir Alec Issigonis had the best approach to road safety: Install a row of carving knives along the top of the dash and we'd all drive much more safely
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Speed bumps and pot holes bust the spring on my Golf. Now it has failed the MOT.
          Quality German engineering, huh?

1983 (Y) MG 1600
          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
          1990 Clubman D
          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Yup! If everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen...
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

With the roads being in the worst state I can remember and coil springs being made from cheap grade steel from china these days a lot of springs are snapping.

Comment

Working...
              X