A few SD3 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few SD3 questions

I know there are a few who have/had an SD3 on here. How do you control the rust, do you waxoyl it a month or every two months? Aswell I can't afford a garage to store one in, would a car cover be alright?

Where can I acquire a set of wheel trims like this?

Also what are they like to drive? I've only ever been a passenger.

Originally posted by Olympic View Post
    I know there are a few who have/had an SD3 on here. How do you control the rust, do you waxoyl it a month or every two months? Aswell I can't afford a garage to store one in, would a car cover be alright?
    You control the rust by being obsessive about cleaning. Waxoyling is an annual thing - you don't have to but it's recommended. Keeping it clean is FAR more important...

My Montego lives outside in all weathers. You don't even need a car cover, really.

Where can I acquire a set of wheel trims like this?

Try Rimmers or eBay. Or maybe buy an SE or VP spec car...

Also what are they like to drive? I've only ever been a passenger.
    Only briefly driven Chris's 213SE auto. Bit bland, but full of charm, if you're used too PAS you'll find it heavy but they're actually not badly weighted at all. I personally prefer Montegos but I could go for the right SD3.
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
      You control the rust by being obsessive about cleaning. Waxoyling is an annual thing - you don't have to but it's recommended. Keeping it clean is FAR more important...

My Montego lives outside in all weathers. You don't even need a car cover, really.

Try Rimmers or eBay. Or maybe buy an SE or VP spec car...

Only briefly driven Chris's 213SE auto. Bit bland, but full of charm, if you're used too PAS you'll find it heavy but they're actually not badly weighted at all. I personally prefer Montegos but I could go for the right SD3.
      So its not all that bad then? I'd be very obssesive about keeping it clean. I just looked on Rimmers for the wheel trims, can't find any. I'll try Ebay out.

Comment

Not bad at all. Go and try one.
        Sam Skelton

PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

I'd be glad to

I found the SD3's Honda sister on ebay the other day. The SD3 looks more handsome IMO.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ball...item1e6e215147

Also to ask is there anything about the 1.3 engine that I should know about?
          Last edited by Olympic; 16th December 2012, 16:36.

Comment

Yes. It isn't an A series so don't expect Maestro bits to fit. It's shared with the Honda Civic and Ballade.
            Sam Skelton

Comment

The 1.3 Honda engine is a lot more refined than the A series

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                Yes. It isn't an A series so don't expect Maestro bits to fit. It's shared with the Honda Civic and Ballade.
                Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
                The 1.3 Honda engine is a lot more refined than the A series
                I wonder if Hyacinth knew that.

Comment

Also what are they like to drive? I've only ever been a passenger.[/QUOTE]

I've not driven a 1.3, but I am given to understand it's smoother and livelier than an "A" Series. I have a 1985 1.6S [pics in the photo' archive], which I find to be a nice drive. The road holding is good, mine runs on a set of Enduros. The steering is a bit imprecise and dreadfully heavy when parking. Despite the Press comments at the time, I find the seats quite comfortable. The Dashboard ergonomics are quite good, with easy to read instrumentation and the controls coming easily to hand. The clutch is light with smooth drive take-up. The gearbox is excellent with easy, precise changes. The brakes are very good.

You don't get too much tyre or wind noise, and the sound deadening keeps the engine noise to a minimum. All in all a better driving car than the contemporary Press comments indicated.

As regards the bodywork, I agree wholeheartedly with Captain Slow, don't scrimp on the Waxoyl, and be very liberal with cavity wax. The SD3 can rust anywhere - and usually does! The door and sill drain holes need to be checked regularly and you would do well to take off the door cards and spray cavity wax behind them, as the bottoms of the doors are very prone to rusting. The real problem is the poor quality of the thin steel the bodies were pressed from. So, basically, wax all cavities and waxoyl annually. If the car has to stay outside, a good quality car-cover is a good idea, as the chances of water ingress are quite high. If I leave mine out in the rain overnight, I will always have condensation problems in the morning, and I still haven't found out where it's getting in.

Comment

Also to ask is there anything about the 1.3 engine that I should know about?
                    Hi.

On the 1.3 engine front it is all good news

It is smooth quiet and very flexible to drive. The most reliable engine of the 2/3 engine variants fitted into the SD3 by far. Regularly serviced I have seen these engines still running like new with upwards of a quarter of a million miles on the clock. Fuel economy is great 40mpg+ on combined motoring with the manual transmission, and slightly less with the 4 speed auto. Another bonus is the engine has to be the only one fitted to a Rover/ Austin that does not leak oil.

Because the engine is so reliable certain owners had a tendency to neglect the service intervals. Always look into the engine through the oil filler hole of the rocker cover when buying. Any black sludge visible inside the engine will identify a poorly serviced engine, the black sludge kills engine components particularly camshafts.

Its biggest downside is that Rover can't claim to have produced it

Comment

Another question regarding the SD3. I've read that the 213 is more easier to steer than the 216. The 216 lacked PAS whereas the 213 didn't need it. Is this true at all?

Had no luck with the wheel trims.

Comment

Another question regarding the SD3. I've read that the 213 is more easier to steer than the 216. The 216 lacked PAS whereas the 213 didn't need it. Is this true at all?

Had no luck with the wheel trims.
                        Yes that is true by 80s standards. The reason is probably mostly down to a couple of things, the power unit is much lighter than the 1.6, and the tyre/wheel size being smaller on the 1.3.

If you compare in todays standards where nearly every new car comes with P.A.S the steering on the 1.3 could be described as a little on the heavy side.

Comment

I bought a brand new one when I was just 19 back in 1984 - 213SE in Monza Red. i loved that little car, it was so quiet that you had to rev it sometimes as I thaught it had cut out lol.

There were a couple on ebay last week & a few weeks ago a stunning VandenPlas.

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
                            I bought a brand new one when I was just 19 back in 1984 - 213SE in Monza Red. i loved that little car, it was so quiet that you had to rev it sometimes as I thaught it had cut out lol.

There were a couple on ebay last week & a few weeks ago a stunning VandenPlas.
                            The 213VP was a beautiful little car with its plush full leather trim. The VP will be a very rare car these days as they were only produced for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
                              The 213VP was a beautiful little car with its plush full leather trim. The VP will be a very rare car these days as they were only produced for a couple of years.
                              The leather was optional on the 213VDP - the standard trim was Rachelle Velvet as on the MMM - VDP models. I think leather was standard when the 216EFi VDP came about.

Comment

Working...
                              X