1st March 2013 - 30th Birthday of the Maestro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st March 2013 - 30th Birthday of the Maestro

Yes, on this date back in 1983 when Boney Tyler and Kajagoogoo were fighting it out for the Number One spot in the British music charts, the Austin and MG Maestro was formally unveiled.

Happy 30th Birthday to this much liked and fun-to-drive all-British designed, engineered and built medium-sized hatchback (and later car-derived van). A great car we should all be proud of.

Cant believe it! Happy 30th birthday maestro. I genuinely don't think of it as that old of a car but more like on of the first "modern" types of car. Perhaps its more about the the cars I was around as I was growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by theshrew2000 View Post
      ......don't think of it as that old of a car but more like on of the first "modern" types of car.
      Do remember the launch as yesterday so I only can say time goes quicker than you can imagine.
      Unbelievable that so few do exist these days especialy here on the continent where you never see one on the road anymore.
      Looking forward to my personal celebration for its 30st birthday during my "conducted tour" in Spain later this year.

Comment

Now I feel guilty that my Maestros will spend their birthday SORN'd :-(
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I'm going to give mine a pat before I set off through muddy, salty roads on my way home from work...

Alexander
          http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Piggy Bank View Post
            Do remember the launch as yesterday so I only can say time goes quicker than you can imagine.
            Yes indeed - time is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

30 years of Maestro. They don't look like 30 year old cars, do they? I remember the launch too as if it were yesterday. I've been an enthusiast from their introduction to them being discontinued, from them being plentiful in scrapyards to rarity. From aspirational new car to old banger and now to modern classic status.
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Mine passed the MOT and got taxed today-a fitting celebration!

Comment

Particularly excellent news Philip!

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                  Now I feel guilty that my Maestros will spend their birthday SORN'd :-(
                  Far better being sorned than where most are now !

Comment

re 30 years of the maestro

happy birthday maestro.i had my first new car 17 march 1984 it was a eclipse blue i.3 base model.i had to pay extra for the rear wash wipe and parcell shelf.
                    it had no passinger mirror and no radio or head rests i paid £4.275 on the road with 6 months road tax.i did fit my own radio and aerial.which was solen a year later with the breaking of the rear quarter light diver side. and the center facia and heater vents taken at the same time leaveing the heater levers exsposed.ive still have the car parked on the front garden sadly with out a mot as there was holes in the rear floor and rear vallances making it not cost efective to return to the road.i still run the engine as one day i mite need it.it always sounded beter then the ledbury i brought from new in 1998.
                    i always put it down to the molly slip i used to put in the oil at oil change time.i did buy a 5 speed gearbox from a scrappy to fit to it but never got around to it before it was finaly sorned in 2010.the car is still in one piece apart from a couple of seatbelt bolts i used on my citreon van to fit a 4th seat frame as its a wheel chair despatch van with only 1 seat in the back but now have the 2 seats.i hope someone found this interesting

Comment

Be a really sweet ending to that story if it could be put back on the road Dave.
                      30 years is a very long time to keep a car!

Comment

Originally posted by David3500 View Post
                        Yes, on this date back in 1983 when Boney Tyler and Kajagoogoo were fighting it out for the Number One spot in the British music charts, the Austin and MG Maestro was formally unveiled.
                        And rumour has it that early MG and VP versions were prone to suffering a 'Total Eclipse of the Dash' but the owners were 'Too Shy' to mention it to their local dealer

I too am guilty of having all of my Maestros in storage through the 30th Anniversary year, just a case of 'too many cars, too little time to sort them out'. But at least while I have them laid up, they are not getting abused/scrapped by somebody else

Incidentally, why is this thread in 'Off Topic'??
                        1983 (Y) MG 1600
                        1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                        1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                        1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                        1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                        1990 Clubman D
                        1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
                          And rumour has it that early MG and VP versions were prone to suffering a 'Total Eclipse of the Dash' but the owners were 'Too Shy' to mention it to their local dealer

I too am guilty of having all of my Maestros in storage through the 30th Anniversary year, just a case of 'too many cars, too little time to sort them out'. But at least while I have them laid up, they are not getting abused/scrapped by somebody else

Incidentally, why is this thread in 'Off Topic'??

I read many of the previous posts in 'General Maestro and Montego' which were more about technical and insurance advice. My initial post was neither so I decided to play it safe and put it under 'Off Topic'.

Incidentally, I like your reference to the two song titles in the music charts. Clearly they did have a rather poigniant link with the Maestro itself!
                          Last edited by David3500; 3rd March 2013, 22:39.

Comment

30th birthday

like you ian mine is sorn at the moment.. however it will be taxed mid to late march, money permitting.. going to a driftworks event at the end of march just to annoy the jap boys.. and obviously pol in april.. as long as there are no problems with it.. regards ricky
                            home of the "mad maestro"
                            rover sterling kv6 and four tailpipes on lenso rs5's
                            1935 Morris 18/6 being rejuvenated with xj6 parts

Comment

Working...
                            X