Metro 500 vp ever seen one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro 500 vp ever seen one

My mate at work asked if i have ever seen a Metro 500 vp. I am told it had a chrome grill twin exhaust pipes and peperpot alloys with chrome rims. He said thats how they came out the factory. I guess this is a rare car.

Very rare now sadly....Someone on the Metro forum had a very nice one that got stolen a couple of years ago.

Comment

I will have to look for some pictures of one.

Comment

The Metro VP500 definitely did not come with twin exhaust pipes, just as no Metro ever did. As for exterior colours, I recall Silverleaf metallic was one of the two colours it was offered in, although I can't recall whether the other colour was Black or metallic Gold.

I haven't seen one for at least ten years now.

Comment

Originally posted by David3500 View Post
          The Metro VP500 definitely did not come with twin exhaust pipes, just as no Metro ever did. As for exterior colours, I recall Silverleaf metallic was one of the two colours it was offered in, although I can't recall whether the other colour was Black or metallic Gold.

I haven't seen one for at least ten years now.
          I have only ever seen them in Black. They had the full Tan Sports leather seats too.

Comment

Comment

A friend and I were responsible for Austin Metro VP500 No.1 being rescued from a salvage yard near York over 10 years ago.

I believe it is now being carefully stored / restored but not 100% sure.

I have had 3 of them in the past, all black with tan leather seats and bitter chocolate trim.
              Pepperpot alloys.
              Chrome edge's to grill.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                A friend and I were responsible for Austin Metro VP500 No.1 being rescued from a salvage yard near York over 10 years ago.

I believe it is now being carefully stored / restored but not 100% sure.

I have had 3 of them in the past, all black with tan leather seats and bitter chocolate trim.
                Pepperpot alloys.
                Chrome edge's to grill.
                Just out of interest, how did you know it was the first example of the limited edition? Were they individually numbered, or were all five hundred examples built in a single batch whereby they had consecutive VINs?

I am glad to hear it was saved and is being restored as the VP500 was certainly a very desirable variant.

Comment

All had the build number etched into the glass on both doors.

We new this was the "real no.1" as the door was undisturbed with all fittings and the plastic sheet behind the door card was untouched and "as factory".
                  We were about to salvage bits off it, when we saw the etching on the windows.

Spoke the the yard owner and got it released. (he was a long standing member of the VP owners register, so was sympathetic with the need to save it.)

Afterwards we contacted the Previous owner who confirmed they had had it from new, and took delivery of the car "at the factory".

It later went to Bristol, and then I think it ended up with the Metro owners Club Chairman for safe keeping / restoration.

Comment

Thanks for this Mal, it is certainly an interesting car. I hope I will get to see it one day on display at Pride of Longbridge.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                      All had the build number etched into the glass on both doors.

We new this was the "real no.1" as the door was undisturbed with all fittings and the plastic sheet behind the door card was untouched and "as factory".
                      We were about to salvage bits off it, when we saw the etching on the windows.

Spoke the the yard owner and got it released. (he was a long standing member of the VP owners register, so was sympathetic with the need to save it.)

Afterwards we contacted the Previous owner who confirmed they had had it from new, and took delivery of the car "at the factory".

It later went to Bristol, and then I think it ended up with the Metro owners Club Chairman for safe keeping / restoration.
                      That was obviously a very close call for that car....I wonder why it ended up in a nackers yard in the first place?

Comment

It was stolen recovered.

from what I can remember it had.
                        dent to n/side rear quarter (easily pushed out)
                        bent and buggered steering wheel, column and ignition.
                        Bent alloy on drivers front.
                        Buggered door skin around lock.

By the time we got to it, there was no fuel tank, rear subby hanging off, and the wheels had gone. The breakers yard "threw in" a set of x-spokes and nuts to get it rolling so I could trailer it home.

Comment

On the subject of rare metros, there was a Heinz metro went about where iam a good few years ago, reg was H57..... They were red with silver bottoms, and 57 on the doors

Comment

Originally posted by trocse View Post
                            On the subject of rare metros, there was a Heinz metro went about where iam a good few years ago, reg was H57..... They were red with silver bottoms, and 57 on the doors
                            I remember them well as I tried to win one. You had to fill your details on the rear of a label from a tin of Heinz soup and send it in. Great times!

Comment

And IIRC they all had the registration beginning H57 followed by the winners initials? Correct me if i'm wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X