Get to know your rights as a buyer of online products and services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get to know your rights as a buyer of online products and services

I had a problem with a recent transaction on ebay. I bought some coilover springs and I got the id wrong, the springs were 2.25" when the shock bodies I had were 2.5" id. Anyway I arranged a return with the seller and at that time they mentioned I'd paid £49 but I'd only receive a partial refund of £40. Their reasoning for this was they'd spent £9 on a courier delivery.

When I checked the listing there was a clear mention of free postage so I did a quick bit of research. This is the link that came up:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...off_period.htm

'When you buy goods or services by distance sale, for example by internet, phone, mail order or TV, the law says you can cancel your contract within a cooling-off period. For most goods and services, the cooling-off period lasts for seven working days from when you bought it.'

'If you have already paid for the goods or services, whether in full or with a deposit, the law says the trader must refund all your money within 30 days of you cancelling the agreement.

The refund should include any delivery charges you paid. However, you may be responsible for the cost of returning any items to the seller. If this was in your terms and conditions, you will have to pay to return the items. The seller can deduct this cost from the amount they repay you.'

So get to know your rights! There doesn't need to be something wrong even, as it is a distant sale and you aren't able to hold the item or see it directly you have 7 days to assess the items true value or suitability. Pay for the return of the product and get a refund in full including the postage fees.

The only items in relation to car parts etc would be special order items, so items that aren't held in stock and are made specific to your order.

Sorry this post is so long, but it is all good information, please crosspost this info to other car forums as I'm sure there are too many items that arrive of unexpected quality or finish that should be returned for a refund. Getting the outbound postage refunded is clearly stated in law, I know for certain most of the returns I have made I didn't get the postage fees returned!

Excellent advice. Did you get your full refund in the end?

Comment

Just bear in mind it only applies to UK sourced items.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The company are belligerent idiots, after sending them the link and all the relevant info they refused to budge. I asked them to explain how they can legally operate outside uk laws and they told me to go to trading standards? So I did.

I did contact Paypal as they should shoulder some responsibility for allowing this to go on. They are obviously aware of the act and have issued me with a £10 voucher to cover the £9 missing.

Comment

And it only apply's to business sellers. so don't try it with private sellers.

Comment

Sound advise, thanks Phil!

Comment

I work for a ford spares selling parts mailorder on the internet.
              What you have said here is correct, however the vast majority of eBay sales are not included. The distance selling regulations are what protects purchasers when buying parts mailorder but eBay operates to different rules and isn't covered by the regulations due to the fact its an auction sale.

Comment

good call, it only operates on buy it now items.

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                  good call, it only operates on buy it now items.
                  Is it new and used? Would it not only apply to trade sellers?
                  1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                  1989 BMW 316i
                  2013 BMW 320d Touring
                  2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I posted the thread and links so people could READ about their rights...

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                      I posted the thread and links so people could READ about their rights...
                      Forgive me I got sucked into the discussion!!
                      1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                      1989 BMW 316i
                      2013 BMW 320d Touring
                      2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

royal mail doesn't deliver for free....he should have stated cost of postage was £9 but included in the price...your expecting a business to subsidise your own measurement mistake!
                        0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

Originally posted by guussi View Post
                          your expecting a business to subsidise your own measurement mistake!
                          When it is written in an act I have 7 days to change my mind without any mistakes then I shouldn't have sniping comments like yours for doing so.

Comment

7 days to change your mind, not to return if you've ordered incorrectly. I always claim something else is wrong if its my mistake
                            EBay is changing so you now have to give free postage, and 14 days not 7.
                            All the parts we list as free postage are invoiced to show what postage has cost us so we don't have to refund it. EBay is biased towards the buyers anyway, and PayPal even more so.

Comment

Working...
                            X