Collecting A Car With Trailor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting A Car With Trailor.

There is a Metro Turbo I fancy in Morecambe & I am in Kent. Anyone know of any companies or individuals etc that have a trailor that one could use without breaking the bank?

If you can't do it yourself then fuel and someones time are among the most expensive things to cover these days! So I'd get calling in a favour from someone!

Comment

I hired a trailer a couple of years ago and it cost me around £50 for a one day hire. It was a good quality modern trailer and included wheel straps etc.

That was in Lichfield, which of course is no good to you, but it illustrates the point that a decent trailer can be hired for reasonable cost. You will just need a decent vehicle to tow with, as most reputable hire centres tend not to let folks hitch up a car transporter to an average car.
      1983 (Y) MG 1600
      1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
      1987 700 City 1.6 Van
      1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
      1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
      1990 Clubman D
      1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Hi - I live in Garstang (near Morecambe). Two years ago I bought a Mk2 Golf GTi from Appleby in Cumbria which had been off the road for 8 years in a field. Obviously in this state of repair I decided to get the car transported. I went on anyvan website clearing stating the move required. You then get bids from transportation companies businesses individuals.

The people bid with prices / have feedback etc. I decided to use a lad called Nathan who, despite not being the cheapest, he made the effort to email me. He had just started out and I thought I would give him a go. Fantastic experience. He was where we arrange to meet, early, and took a real interest in the move. He helped me push the car out of its lockup and used his winch to carefully put the car on the back of his truck.

When we arrived in Garstang he took care to carefully move his truck into our v tight driveway, and unloaded the car in safety. A great guy - pm me and I can you his number - I presume he is still doing this and can give you a price.

Best decision - much safer than trying to tow/perform a movement that you may not be insured / safe doing. Worth the money. Cost me about £70 if I recall. Luke

Comment

I'm equipped and insured to do such a job, but as a one off it would be prohibitive at best, and even as a detour from a barn visit, it would not be far off a one off job either.

For a car of it's type and cost, I would insist on seeing it first, and having it inspected at a local garage that will allow you to use their ramps. (not one of the sellers choosing either).
          if you're willing to spend 4 figures or more on a car, then you should be willing to pay the expense of a qualified carrier to bring it home to you.

Mal.

Comment

I have just looked in an old copy of Classic Car weekly and there are a few companies listed, as follows:

Hunters Car Transportation Services (based in South East?) - 01945 420313

Torquay Motors - 01626 832220

J S D Services (based in Yorkshire) - 0113 2320048

I know Torquay Motors does a regular trip to Scotland so they might be able to deviate on the way back to the Westcountry. I nearly used them for a project a few years ago although in the end the help of a friend with a trailer worked out cheaper.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Comment

metro

If it is taxed and insured etc, and if you wanted to drive it home, what about getting a train to Preston and I would be able to pick you up and take you to Morecambe to pick it up ,it would be no problem with prior warning.
                Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

metro turbo

sorry train station should read ,preston or even better Lancaster.
                  Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Originally posted by normanmg2000 View Post
                    If it is taxed and insured etc, and if you wanted to drive it home, what about getting a train to Preston and I would be able to pick you up and take you to Morecambe to pick it up ,it would be no problem with prior warning.
                    Many thanks, but it has no MOT so isn't taxed. I however spoke to the seller today to say I couldn't sort things in time but he said he has decided to remove the car for sale & sort the minor issues then MOT it but keep it till at least April. I have asked him if he would then give me first refusal (done me a favour presently lol).

Comment

I hired a car transporter from a firm in Maidstone to collect the Maestro. I think it cost about £70 for the day.

Seymour Hire Ltd - 01622 716889

Collecting the Maestro from Brighton by angrydicky, on Flickr
                      1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

Never thaught of that. Who's insurance does it go on?

Comment

It's exactly the same as hiring a car, insurance is included in the price.
                          1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

If you check the car over and think the car is roadworthy and you insure it, you are allowed to drive the car to a pre-booked MOT and straight home without tax or MOT. I recall a few years ago a classic car journo writing in a column how he was pulled by plod using ANPR while doing this over quite a long distance, and how disappointed they were not to get a nick after they checked with the MOT station, and the other details.
                            http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/when-to-m...d-notification

The car would have to be properly roadworthy though, especially obvious things like tyres and lights. Also, you would need to have breakdown cover. Some cover is on the person and not the car, so you might have coverage already.

It would be terrible if you had a breakdown just down the road from seller and had to be recovered...

Comment

Journeys to and from an MOT are to be a "reasonably accepted distance".

if the officer stopping the driver,feels the distance is excessive then they have the law on their side to follow up with the usual for driving without tax and MOT etc.

The days of doing long distance to an MOT are over for a car just bought.

Try it and find out.

Comment

Working...
                              X