Defining what is a 'Modern Classic'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining what is a 'Modern Classic'

I am wondering if someone on here can advise me whether there is a recognised definition of what constitutes a 'Modern Classic'?

The motoring press have often spoken about Modern Classics but have not provided a definitive definition, let alone what criterion they are using to justify/confirm that definition with particular vehicles.

After all, does it include all cars built after the 'golden closure' age of 1980 when fuel injection replaced carburettors and electronic ignition became the norm? Does it also embrace carryover designs from a previous decade, such as the Rover SD1 which ended production in 1986 and Mini which ended in October 2000?

Is there a cut-off date where cars built after it are not technically considered to be 'modern classics', but 'future classics' instead? Is there actually a distinction yet between a Modern Classic and Future Classic?

Answers, please...

I think you'll get lots of opinions, but no definate answers. The same as goes for "what is a classic car?"
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

A quick Google gives various answers to your question so agree with E_T_V.

Interestingly Junes issue of Practical classics lists their predictions of 10 classics that will rocket in price in the next ten years and list cars produced from 1974 (Citroen CX) up to 2005 (MGF/TF).

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
      Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
      Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Working...
      X