No announcement yet.

Should forum be for club members only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should forum be for club members only.

Should access to the club forum be restricted to club members only.Any comments for and against from club members and non members.

No I think it should be for everyone as it generates interest. I would not have been able to see the ad to buy my car if not.

Comment

No as it splits the community..But isnt there a member only section anyway ?
      Sure & steadfast.
      BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
      1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
        No as it splits the community..But isnt there a member only section anyway ?
        You are right, if you pay your subs, you do receive access to more sections of the Forum.

When this was implemented (members and non members used to get the same Forum access) it was decided that the most important parts of the Forum - the Technical help sections - remained free to access. The thinking being that non enthusiast owners could have access to information that might just prolong their car's life.

Comment

A big fat NO. We are just as much a club for non-members as members ("promote and encourage further interest" etc.)

As an example - I refuse to join the Allegro Club on the basis I cannot access their forums and find out what the club is about. The day that happens here is the day I leave for good

Comment

the forum also acts as a good recruiting tool for the club, i posted on here when I got my first maestro, liked what i saw, and signed up

Comment

Originally posted by CPL593H View Post
              the forum also acts as a good recruiting tool for the club, i posted on here when I got my first maestro, liked what i saw, and signed up
              Hmm soon to be reunited !! not accepting postal delays.
              Sure & steadfast.
              BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
              1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
              1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

They are currently having this same discussion on the Ex Military landrover forum.

Apparently many of the Paid up members are not happy that the majority of those registered on the forum are not paying subs towards it's upkeep.(even though they're forum is sponsored by a supplier)

I shall miss it if it became "members only", as I will this should it ever chose to do the same.

But after all is said and done, if the paid up membership deems it, then it shall be so.

After all they are paying for it.
                Last edited by MG MAL; 18th June 2012, 13:25.

Comment

No from a non-member here... Many will know me in person as an enthousiastic Maestro owner. I have not yet chosen to get a member of the club, as I currently think that sharing the membership of 3 classic car clubs between my better half and me is enough. But I would miss this forum - and have on return hopefully been able to help the odd request posted by anyone else.

Regards,

Alexander
                  http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

No. As per other voices here, I got into the forum before the club, and it generates interest which leads to members. To take away that line closes doors for new membership.
                    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
                      A big fat NO. We are just as much a club for non-members as members ("promote and encourage further interest" etc.)
                      I agree with the forum being open to all, but kind of disagree with your statement in part Chris...

If we are just as much a club for non-members as members then why am I or anyone else for that matter bothering to pay into it...?

at the end of the day i think the owners club is a good idea, and i wouldn't really change anything. particularly - making the forum members only would ruin it, and it would almost become a waste of time coming on here - have seen that theory proved elsewhere

andy
                      CURRENT FLEET:
                      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

We're a community for non members too, I agree. But to a lesser extent than we're a club for the members.
                        Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                        E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                        H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                        J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                        L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                        OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                        PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Why even ask the question, that's a very them and us attitude you have there

Comment

No, forum should be open to everybody.
                            Greg

Rover Maestro 1.6LX 1991,Daily Driver
                            Triumph TR7 V8 DHC 1980

Comment

No. If you did the club would lose much of its communal expertise.

You'd find it much more difficult to attact new members too.

And rapidly you'd see the non members migrate somewhere else to discuss things for "free".
                              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
                              X