words getting corrupted on this Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• words getting corrupted on this Forum

It appears that when you type the word "p l e a s e" that it gets automatically changed to "please please pretty please with sugar on tope" [sic]

Is this one of the Forum Administrators being a wag?

please

Comment

Hmm works ok for me... Will take a look!

Comment

Thanks -I've had it in posts:

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18797
        3rd August 2013, 22:42

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...t=16986&page=3
        14th May 2013, 22:58

and also in a PM that I sent to someone else on the forum!
        Last edited by John C; 24th September 2013, 12:53.

Comment

There is an autocorrect function that can be used to prevent people swearing, and also to stop people using too many acronyms or netspeak words.

You can add stuff yourself manually but I think some of them come pre-populated

So for example it could stop me saying ar*e and it will put bum instead. I'm sure you can use your imagineation and see how this is used to stop some more offensive words
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Please

please
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Not sure what's going on here, in the post above I've written "please" twice with no problems associated with the word being corrupted.
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

It happens when you use text speak, i.e. type 'p l s' with no spaces, not the full word 'please'. I'd have it replaced with "I am a lazy cnut who can't be arsed to write full words"
                Regards
                John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I'm not quite sure either, as I've had a look at the censorship options and there's nothing there apart from the usual nasties... Chris Y may be able to help??

Comment

if you type "p l s" you get pls

Comment

I think the same happens with lots of other words/phrases. It has been a while since I entered any in!

Comment

Hah, found it eventually. There was a member a few years ago who insisted on using txt spk so a few words were set to auto replace.

I think John hit the nail on the head, so pls type properly

Comment

Can you delete the AUTOCORRECT for the abbreviation of 'please'? No one can say that what automatically replaces it is an improvement!

Comment

The idea is it shames the poster into writing the word properly!

Comment

Originally posted by John C View Post
                              Can you delete the AUTOCORRECT for the abbreviation of 'please'? No one can say that what automatically replaces it is an improvement!
                              We have people of all ages and nationalities come on this forum for help and advice.

Anything the encourages the use of something approaching decent, typed English is to be encouraged simply as it makes reading the forum easier for everyone.

To write 'please' over 'p l s' takes no more time or effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X