The Maestro, and the club have lost a great supporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maestro, and the club have lost a great supporter

The following extract has been taken from a post by Classic Car Weekly editor Keith Adams, and I'm sure he won't mind my posting it here.

Keith A: Dreadful news about Endurance Rally Event organiser, mastermind, overseer, and all round top bloke Philip Young, who passed away today following complications after a road accident on the recent Road To Mandalay rally.

He was one of the industry's good guys - hard-working, passionate, and completely committed to the cause. He'll be missed.

A statement from the Endurance Rally Association said: 'A prolific ambassador of the historic rally movement, Philip was a larger-than-life character who pushed motorsport boundaries, organising marathon and endurance rallies all over the globe. A founder of the Historic Rally Car Register, Philip set a world record for driving from Cape Town to London in ten-and-a-half days, and is best known for one of his greatest achievements – the revival of the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge, one of the world’s most epic motoring adventures. His final milestone was gaining permission for 70 rally crews to be the first to cross the land border from Thailand into Burma.'

CCW's sympathies are extended to Philip Young's family.
    As some of you will remember Philip Young helped in no small way push the Maestro back into the limelight by making it his choice of car for the 2012 London to Capetown Rally.

A thread within the archives will show those not familiar with the rally, that the car did extremely well in the event.

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...ondon+capetown

I got to know Philip well during the months leading up to, and during the Endurance Rally Associations 2012 London to Cape town rally, as I was asked by Philip to join the team in regards to spares supply and final build specs.
    During which time many people here gave up there time and offered their experience of these cars, which in turn aided in it's success.

Although we have not spoken much in recent months, I do class him as a good friend, and my heartfelt condolences go to his family, friends, and colleagues at this time.

Mal.
    Last edited by MG MAL; 11th March 2015, 20:40.

This is very sad news indeed, my condolences to his family.
    Rest in peace Philip

Comment

A loss for all that he leaves behind.
      I didnt know him very well, but every contact I had with him his enthusiasm always came across in a very genuine way.

Lets hope he is now travelling the roads less travelled in some Interesting cars.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I will second all of the above.

He was a champion of the Maestro (and British Leyland), achieved greatly throughout his lifetime and I am very sad he has gone. He was on my list of people to visit to catch up, but sadly events overtook us. May his spirit of adventure and exploration and motoring endeavour live on through the ERA and the rest of us who are inspired by his example and love of classic cars.

Sincere condolences to his family
        Last edited by John C; 25th June 2015, 08:00.

Comment

Working...
        X