Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garages, Forum software, etc etc.

Ok, I have a suggestion.

The suggestion is to create a new forum to replace this one (with this one kept as a backup) using phpBB, as phpBB now has a garage modification which is tremendous, and allows all sorts of fancy stuff, AND it's FREE.

This would enable the return of the garage at limited cost, and if the current forum software uses SQL databases for everything, it would be possible to keep the data.

For an example of a phpBB forum (garage to be added) please check out my forum at HTTP://forum.LD50.co.uk

I don't like the phpBB software, and from an admin point of view I know from experience that VBuletin is far siperior

Nice to see you back though, Allan.

Comment

This software here has some nice touches which make it hugely superior for me as a user, e.g. the 'view first unread' button. So for me as a reader I would mind a change...

Alexander
      http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

The problem with free software is there’s usually a reason why it’s free. phpBB is great given that it doesn’t cost anything making it ideal as a standalone forum or for a small-medium community website. I’ve always found vBulletin a much more robust and professional solution – it’s extremely flexible and easy to upgrade, there’s a vast amount of admin functionality and from what I understand it’s quite a bit more secure too.

If it’s really needed I’m sure we can sort out a garage substitute easily enough.
        Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
        2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Originally posted by threelitre
          This software here has some nice touches which make it hugely superior for me as a user, e.g. the 'view first unread' button. So for me as a reader I would mind a change...

Alexander

I know nothing about computers, but other forums i have used/use don't have the "view first unread" feature (Like threelitre has mentioned) and this to me is a pain.
          If the other software didn't have this feature then in my eyes it would be less "user freindly"

Comment

well i like the view first facillity and as the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it

Comment

I find PhpBB much easier to use, it's format looks nicer, features can be added to make it what you want if you know what your doing..

Comment

vBulletin all the way.
                Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Working...
                X