Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all from Kent

Hi, my name is Adz (Adam)

Im 25 and much to your discuss im into Vauxhalls.... I drive 2 myself..

My toy Astra Mk3 GSi with Turbo conversion with around 350+ bhp

And the daily hack Vectra C 1.9 CDTi

But... i have a soft spot for the old austins.... inc Maestro, Montego, Ambassador, Allegro, Metro from the standard ones to the MG/Turbo series! Ive always wanted one.. but never really had the chance to own one.

Heres a quick picture of my astra which ive owned for 4.5 years now and bought it standard.

The vectra is just a vectra in red lol...

Anyway, i work for myself dismantling vauxhalls & saabs for a living and every now and again you come across a little something thats a bit special...

So this is mainly why im on here which if you had of read my previous welcome message.. i said ive always wanted a austin something lol..
    Its not much.. its rotten.. and its been sat in a garage for 12 years +
    Heres a few pictures of it..
    In the garage we found it..

And at the yard... before a clean lol

Not quite what i had in mind for a first austin lol.. But im sure with some TLC it will turn out quite nice.. how ever.. its strictly when im not working or have spare time at work! lol

Thanks for reading all!

Welcome Certainly not the worst Aggro I've seen! Good luck with the project, do keep us updated.

Comment

Welcome.

Actually looks like quite a good basis to start with.

Love the colour, and I'm sure it will make a cracking project.

Mal.

Comment

Cheers for the reply guys, will defo keep this updated... How do i go about looking at pictures of other members cars? Like looking through them, as my dad had loads when i was a kid lol.

Cheers

Comment

There should be a link to the photo's near the top ( in the blue border)

Comment

Looks a good base car. I see it is wearing a Kent registration as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tezza SG1 View Post
              There should be a link to the photo's near the top ( in the blue border)
              Cheers mate, ill have a lil look around

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
              Looks a good base car. I see it is wearing a Kent registration as well.
              Yeah i belive it did come from Kent as well, how can you tell by the number plate?

Cheers

Comment

Hi , and good luck with the car

Comment

Yeah, I believe it did come from Kent as well; how can you tell by the number plate? [/QUOTE]

With the old registration number system the last two letters of the number give the registration district.

Example.

Original two letter and four figure plate, from 1902:

DL 4795 - Isle of Wight number

Later three letter and three number plate, first issued in the very late 1920s:

O-DL 479 The hyphen was omitted after a couple of years so the number became:

ODL 479.

In the late '50s they ran out of numbers in the sequence so they moved the letters to the end of of the plate and started with four figures and two letters:

4795 DL

When they ran out of these they went to three figures and three letters:

479 ODL

They ran out again and in 1963 they started the next system which was the three letter, three figure plate with a suffix letter denoting the year of registration:

ODL 479A

In 1966 the sequence was modified so that the suffix letter was not changed on the 1st of January, but on the 1st of August, so the 'C' suffix was only issued between 1st January and 31st July 1966, followed on 1st August by 'D' which ran to 31st July 1967 &c.

They ran out again and in 1983 and then made the single letter into a prefix:

A479 ODL

The numbers spanned two years as with the previous system.

The system changed yet again in 2001 when the current system was introduced with a completely new sequence of letters denoting location:

HW51 ODL

The first two letters denote registration district, HW = Hampshire - Wight, ie. Isle of Wight. The two figures indicate that the plate was issued in late 2001 the final three letters are random.

Comment

Hi mate loving the Astra, there are a few members on here from Kent. I'm in Sittingbourne along with ralphg.

Welcome to the club!

Comment

Originally posted by Adz @ VauxPartsUK View Post
                      Cheers mate, ill have a lil look around

Yeah i belive it did come from Kent as well, how can you tell by the number plate?

Cheers
                      The KE part tells though not sure what part of Kent. The Kent registrations of that era were KE, KJ, KK, KL, KM, KN, KO, KP, KR, KT though this was phased out in the late 70's. Canterbury had it's own plate till the mid to late 70's too & that was FN.

Comment

Cheers for the welcomes guys...

Today had a chance to have a little look at it, so connected battery up for 1st time..

Anyhow.... it has some air horn things on it lol.

Besides that... I could hear the starter motor clicking in.. but not turning over.. so i got a brick (Professional tool) and hit the starter motor... Then got the engine turning over!

Put a bit of fuel into the tank, however... not 100% sure on if im getting spark, as i took the plug out and couldnt see anything there regarding a spark.. and im not sure if theres fuel getting to the plugs as they didnt seem to wet when i took the first 2 out.

The brakes are non exsistent... pedal goes to the floor... the clutch pedal dont even move to the floor and there is no brake fluid in the pot thing. And for some reason i left it in gear and when trying to start it, it was turning over, but wernt moving forward.. so im really not sure whats up with that to be honest... Could be expensive! lol

The radio and wipers work though lol.

Anyhow.. that was it today lol.

Few pictures

With lights on 1st time in 14 years

And a cheeky intierior shot

Thanks
                        Last edited by Adz @ VauxPartsUK; 14th May 2012, 20:34.

Comment

Pictures added

Comment

I had an 1800 Allagro Sport when I was somewhat younger. It had the Quartic (square) steering wheel. You car looks solid and remarkably rust free.

Whereabouts in Kent are you?
                            MG ZR, anthracite - sold & gone
                            MG Maestro 1600 1.8 S-series track car - will be made road legal for track days
                            Montego Turbo - in need of welding to osr arch
                            Maestro 1600 VDP - daily drive

Comment

I had an Allegro in the mid 90's, used it for about a year everyday and never let me down, great little car. Sold it to a mate of mine for a pint of beer! The things you did when you were younger!
                              Greg

Rover Maestro 1.6LX 1991,Daily Driver
                              Triumph TR7 V8 DHC 1980

Comment

Working...
                              X