Hi from North Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from North Yorkshire

Hi my names Alan, in the process of buying a 1989 Maestro 1.6 LX to tow my lightweight caravan.
    Have owned various BMC/BL cars previously including Minis, Ambassador, Midgets etc and more latterly Morris Minor & Ford Sierra but this is my first Maestro.
    Are there other members in the Yorkshire / Durham area??
    Haven't sorted Insurance yet, any suggestions??
    Will join the Club later today and look forward to meeting other members somewhere soon.
    Cheers to all, Alan, Shirl & Skye the Shetland Sheepdog.

Good choice of model. They are surprisingly swift and refined when properly fettled and can hold their own in modern traffic.
    What make/model is the caravan out of interest?
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Hi Simon, Caravan is a Elddis Firestorm 4 berth

Having second thoughts as caravan is 1065 kg MTPLM.

As far as I can find out the 1.6 Maestro is about the same weight and the legal towing limit is just a little more.

Considering we live just outside the North Yorks Moors, with hills galore, I'm wondering if the Maestro may be under powered.

Any thoughts

Alan

Comment

hello, welcome - im based in teeside - so probably not a million miles away

I use adrian flux for my turbo
        Last edited by chris-durham; 25th September 2013, 14:09.

Comment

Hello Alan, welcome to the Club.

I would suggest you try the Insurance classified pages at the back of a magazine like Classics Monthly or Practical Classics. Companies like Footman James and Peter Best seem to be popular however like 'normal' insurance companies they can be great for some, and expensive for others. Try to get an agreed valuation for the car if you can.

Good luck with the caravan...

Comment

Welcome, another one from Durham Maybes a slightly tuned turbo diesel would be better suited and more economical for pulling a caravan?
            MG Maestro Turbo #500
            BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
            Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
            Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Skyesthelimit View Post
              Hi my names Alan, in the process of buying a 1989 Maestro 1.6 LX to tow my lightweight caravan.
              Have owned various BMC/BL cars previously including Minis, Ambassador, Midgets etc and more latterly Morris Minor & Ford Sierra but this is my first Maestro.
              Are there other members in the Yorkshire / Durham area??
              Haven't sorted Insurance yet, any suggestions??
              Will join the Club later today and look forward to meeting other members somewhere soon.
              Cheers to all, Alan, Shirl & Skye the Shetland Sheepdog.
              Hi Alan , have just done my car Insurance and got many ,many quotes and found Lloyds to be far the best for me on price, and also found out they are great for house Insurance too.

Comment

Is an 89 car unleaded? If not then you'll definatly need to remedy that before towing

It will probably cope but it will be a little lifeless. A turbo diesel may be better suited. The montego is also an option if you find one. Ideally with 2 litre petrol or turbo diesel power.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

All LX models were lead free.
                  M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    All LX models were lead free.
                    That sort of information must be worth the Club Membership fee alone, thanks Simon.

However I am now looking at a 1987 MG MAESTRO 2.0 EFi, but it doesn't have a tow bar. I have found a Towbar for Rover Maestro 1983-1995 on E-bay and hope this will fit. Can anyone confirm or otherwise??

When I eventually get a Maestro I will move any future threads to the proper area.

Thanks in advance

Alan

Comment

Which car are you considering?

Comment

Hi Simon,

Its a white Mg on E-bay at £1400.

Just noticed its been on for several months.

Also its on 'car & classics' with some 'surface rust'.

Do you know this vehicle ??

Alan

Comment

no - i dont know the car - but i do remember it being up for some time on ebay

Comment

Tow bar should fit make sure that it's ok for plastic bumper model

Comment

Maestro tow bars for steel and plastic bumper are one and the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X