Hello from a BL fanatic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a BL fanatic!

Hi,my names Tony and I've had BL cars for most of my life.Always wanted an MG Maestro but just never got round to it,so thought I'd better join the forum and ask a few questions.Are they good as an everyday classic,user friendly,parts OK to get and not too hard to work on?Do good ones ever come on the market these days,what are the pros & cons for Turbo/non Turbo?I'm self taught as far as cars go but I have managed 2 Rover P6 rebuilds,both manual V8 "S" cars like you saw in the Sweeney.

I have owned BL wise 2 Metro's,2 Allegro's (1 Vanden Plas),1 Minor,1 Toledo,2 Dolly's,1 Acclaim and 5 P6 Rover's.I live in NE Scotland and want to move back down to the Kent coast.I love the Allegro,Maxi,Austin 1800/2200 cars and my Allegro 1300 Super was one of the best cars I have owned.It was in great nick but unfortunately I had a serious car crash in it so the poor thing was scrapped.
    At present I am in the middle of rebuilding my sixties GRP classics front suspension & it's been a nightmare - sound familiar?Cheers from Tony.

Hi Tony, Welcome to the forum.
    Are they good as an everyday classic?
    YES
    User friendly?
    YES
    Parts OK to get?
    Some are a little harder to find than others, but they are out there. General servicing parts etc are still widely available
    Not too hard to work on?
    Straight forward mechanicals only two ECU's to worry about (ignition and fuel) both rarely go wrong but worth having spares.

Do good ones ever come on the market these days?
    Yes, some good examples have sold recently on ebay and other sites. Condition depends on what your budget is.
    What are the pros & cons for Turbo/non Turbo?
    Some Turbo spec parts are getting hard to find (ECU's and specific spares like factory spec exhausts), all can be overcome with time and patience.
    Maestro Turbos were a limited build, hence rarity of certain spares such as body kit parts. ECU's from Montego Turbos can be used on either, but Montego Turbo's are now rarer than Maestro Turbo's

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
      Hi Tony, Welcome to the forum.
      Hi MG MAL,thanks for the info and will keep my eyes open for a good one.Was there a Haynes manual that covered the MG Maestro models?Will wait till we have moved back to Kent till I start looking proper.

Comment

Given the choice the EFI is the best all rounder (and that comes from a turbo owner!).
        Probably the most reliable too, (not that any are unreliable - just relatively speaking).
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
        X