Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecom van.

Hi All.
    I've registered today. Is anyone able to send me details for membership ?
    About me,well,I have a 1988 Maestro, ex Telephone van. It's not too bad,and certainly worth saving. Engines a bit tired,and is now spraying oil all over the engine bay. I think it's coming from a gasket in the area of the exhaust. Poor on hills,and wheezing noise from the engine. I've run it for a year,but now it's time to sort the engine out. Wiper motor has packed. up Under neath very good. Sills need attention. Is anyone making sills ? Generally a good example of a van.

Eddie.
    Attached Files

What engine is it?

Van sills used to be available, so worth trying the usual panel manufacturers to see if you can source them.
    It is almost always the first and last 12 inches of the sill that gives issues to patching is perfectly possible.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
      What engine is it?

Van sills used to be available, so worth trying the usual panel manufacturers to see if you can source them.
      It is almost always the first and last 12 inches of the sill that gives issues to patching is perfectly possible.

It's a 1275. Thanks for the reply. I'll try all the panel manufactures. It's had a few patches on the sills,and another will get it through the test. Long term,I would like to replace them.

Comment

Quite possibly the cam cover gasket is the one leaking. Its a cork gasket and often gives issues, particularly when overtightend.

The 1275 is never going to be a powerhouse but failed headgaskets aren't unknown (between 2 and 3 cylinder) giving power loss and sometimes a lumpy idle as the only symptoms. Both are cheap and easy to fix.

Comment

Thank you. 75,000 miles. So I'm sure,with a little investigation,there's a bit more life,before I full rebuild. Fingers crossed.

Comment

the wheezing sound could be a split vacumme hose /pipe.they get brittle after a few years so replace the whole length as some time cutting the end off is only a short term repair.and you will find it splits again

Comment

Yes it is worth reading the tuning guide for the 1.3 I wrote many many years ago.

Vacuum pipes always split and the car will run like a dog like this.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll be having a good look at the engine soon. I know there are split pipes/hoses etc. So,a good lead.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

It's great to see that a BT van in the grey livery has survived.

Is it grey inside and out? At the time when they changed from yellow to grey livery, all of the existing yellow vans got a respray to grey on the outside.
                  1983 (Y) MG 1600
                  1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                  1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                  1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                  1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                  1990 Clubman D
                  1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
                    Welcome to the forum!

It's great to see that a BT van in the grey livery has survived.

Is it grey inside and out? At the time when they changed from yellow to grey livery, all of the existing yellow vans got a respray to grey on the outside.
                    This one was yellow,and must have had a very quick blow over,very bad paint job,in places it looks like it's been hand painted. It will do for now though. Glad you like it. Operated in LLandudno.

Comment

Working...
                    X