Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi from fbm777

hi all

I joined today and am very impressed by the amount of information here.

I have owned montegos for 20 years now. Mr first was a 1984 1.3L model which I brought in 1986 for £3800 with 2000 miles on the clock. I kept it on the road until 2001, when the milometer got stuck on 99,999. I never serviced it once, except to change the oil every now and then. The worst thing was the rust of course, and the front wheel bearings which kept on going every 15,000 miles, and a rod which connected the gearstick to the gearbox which kept on dislocating itself in awkward places. The small 13 inch wheels made the ride very unstable over 60mph so I replaced them with much better metric alloy wheels, getting them and the tyres from a local scrap yard. And then the headlining, went, and the front fascia started splitting and breaking up. It was decommissioned in 2001 and disposed of in 2004, regretfully, as I did not have the space to keep it, but not before I had purchased my second montego, a low mileage 2.0gsi automatic saloon, which was everything the 1.3L was not in terms of speed and features, though I found it necessary to add chrome door handles and an electric ariel for completeness, which stuff I also obtained from a scrap yard.

However, ithe gsi suffered from one draw back: it seemed to drink petrol. I reckon I was lucky to get 30 mpg, but 25 mpg was more common. So I converted it to LPG in 2001 for £950, after spending quite a lot of time rust proofing its vital under parts with litres of hammerite, and welding some heavy right angled metal plates to the rear end of the sills. I have now easily recouped my outlay on the LPG conversion in lower fuel bills, 30,000 miles later.

So far it too has proved a great buy: just the rear wheel arches have needed re-welding in 2006, when I put replacement arches in. Since I learnt very basic welding skills, I don't worry about that anymore. The worst thing that has happened was when one of the rear shock absorber bolts decided that it would shear off as I was trying to get the shock absorber out. That took me ages to drill out. Another headache was the distributor arm shorting (its a known problem so I was told) on the motorway, which was quite a good place for it to do it, I suppose as it could have happened in a much worse place. That cost me £95 for an impromtu join of the RAC, but luckily I was able to get a new arm the same day. I'm just praying the gearbox holds for some time to come, as it will be a big expense when it goes, I think.

Anyway, I am hoping to learn some technical details about how the engine bits work, and that sort of stuff. My contributions to this forum will be limited to preventative rust maintenance, I think, which is about my only area of knowledge.
    LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Hey,

Hi im nick welcome to the board. i own a 1.3HL Maestro off road at the minute while i restore it. I was shocked to read you never services your montego it must have had a fair few rattles anyway hello and enjoy MMOC

Cheers,
    Nick
    Nick
    > E185 UUD Austin Maestro 1.3HL (scrapped)
    > N902 XHH Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel Classic (scrapped)
    > KD07 NHB Hyundai Amica 1.0 CDX Auto (sold)
    > Y423 RHL Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Club (sold)
    > AJ06 *** Citroen C4 VTR Coupe 1.6 (current)

Comment

Hello Mate , Welcome to the Forums

Comment

Hi there, good to hear of your Montego story. You do get the odd problem here and there but that's all part of the fun... No?

What colour was your Montego 1.3, BTW?

Once again welcome to the forum/club - I hope you find it useful.
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

hello

hi there glad to see other people joining i am thinking of buying a gsi auto saloon G reg. but rust problems see COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.
          could we have some pics off the gsi please.

Comment

Hello and welcome! I currently own a 1.3 Montego, I think it's a great car

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The 1.3L was a targa red car, and much easier to paint (color match) than the GSI which is two tone with pulsar silver, which colour no-one can seem to match other than Rover or professional paint manufacturers which is just too expensive. So the gsi is looking a bit 3 tone at the moment, with Halfords 'pulsar silver' being the 3rd tone (those guys should be had up for misrepresentation of paint colour).

If anyone wants any cheap targa red paint, I still have some touch up sticks, and also one or two cans.

I did change the plugs and the air & oil filter also, but I just relied on the MOT test to tell me if anything was wrong with the 1.3 in the way of brakes etc. Those were the days when you could extend the MOT test over several days and get things fixed inbetween. Nowadays many garages won't even let you take the car off the forecourt before recharging the full MOT, though I just found that my local rover dealer is pretty good in this respect, in allowing a free retest after home repairs.

The 1.3 was such a simple car, that having it professionally serviced seemed to be like pouring money down the drain for no good reason. I have been a bit more proactive about servicing the gsi but I do it all myself now. I just put a new water pump and cambelt in, and changed the drum brake blocks and the gearbox oil. Passed the MOT first time. I have both the Rover and the Haines manuals now so it helps a lot.

I don't have any more pics at the moment, but will post some more when I next get hold of a digital camera. I recommend the gsi, but only with LPG conversion. If I did not have the conversion, I would be pretty fed up with spending all that money on fuel by now. The 1.3 was far more economical, though with the LPG, the gsi is now much cheaper to run. LPG is great because you can switch between petrol and LPG at the flick of a switch, when you are overtaking or going up hill for instance, when LPG doesn't give you the full power. Only slight problem is loss of boot space, but that's no big deal for me, as I seldom require it.
              LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Comment

Working...
              X