re-clocking an odometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-clocking an odometer

my spanish montego mayfair has 46,850 kms on the clock. ray ( edders ) has sold me one that's mph
    but it has 99,452 on the clock. ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO REWIND IT BACK TO 29,281 ( 46,850 kms )
    without doing it any damage.
    frank
    THANKS EVERY ONE. EDDERS HAS SENT ME ONE OUT OF AN MG.
    THE MILEAGE CORESPONDS TO THE KLMS ON THE OLD ONE SO THAT'S GREAT.
    MOT NEXT FRIDAY... THEN BACK TO DVLA FOR SOME NUMBER PLATES.
    Last edited by diggerfrank; 10th December 2016, 17:22.

Wouldn't it be best to keep your original Km/h clocks in? I've a left hand drive Maestro and you soon get used to where 30, 40, 60, 70 mph is on the km/h speedo. Put little sticky markers on to help you.

If you really want to change the instruments, and alter the odometer first - you'll need to open the instrument pack. Separate the perspex cover from the instruments. Then, there's two nuts either side of where the speedo cable plugs in to the back of the speedo mechanism. Undo these. Then you can lift out the speedo mechanism complete with its face. Once you can see the inner workings of the speedo and the back of the odometer - go to the kitchen and get a dinner knife. Slip the knife between the numbered cylinders on the barrel of the odometer in turn - apply slight sidewards pressure with the knife to each one in turn (to disengage it from the mechanism) and turn it with your finger to the desired number.

Comment

thanks for that..i've now got three options i may pick yours.
      frank.

Comment

It's important to turn the digits forward as some will all go out of line if they are turned back

Comment

afternoon ross
          thanks for that. i've had a few replies to my question. one was to suggest a guy down in redditch
          a richard jenkins. for less rhan £20 he said he could do it and also test the whole unit.
          it's in the post now so i've just got to wait.

Comment

Working...
          X