Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Ratio's

Hi,
    Does any body know the difference between the Final Drive ratio's on Maestro Van 2000cc Diesel(1994 yr) and a Montego 2000cc Turbo diesel (1992/93). I appreciate that they differ depending in the serial number of the 'box but just need a rough idea. I am guessing that the car will be higher (taller) for relaxed cruising?
    Thanks Biglad

I imagine there will be quite a difference - especially as the van is designed to carry significant weight with a low power non-turbo engine.

I think Haynes manuals - particularly the Diesel engine one has the gearbox ratios listed along with the suffix on the bellhousing that allows you to identify it. There seemed to be many ratios!

Comment

There are several final drives used. Also several different ratio sets. I can send you my complete four-page file, with data from several sources, some incomplete.

Alternatively, if you send me details of the box types I can tell you what they contain. There is a number on the front of the bell housing, something like K6AR, or S7AO. The first letter tells you the ratio set, the number gives you the f.d. and the last letters are beyond my ken.

I would publish my file on this forum, if I knew how to do it. If anybody else wants to do it I will be pleased to send the data, although I may edit it slightly to take out personal comments.

Basically the diesels all had similar gear sets, and the f.d.s don't differ all that much, but the van had bigger tyres than the saloon and no turbo, so I think it is lower geared. I would need to check, and I am at the wrong computer to do this. But I will put the data on a floppy and bring it here tomorrow, if I remember!!

Derek.

Comment

Here's the file Derek refers to in the post above:

Gearbox Data
        Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
        2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

gearbox data

Thanks, Jonathan.

If anybody can fill in the gaps, or offer any corrections to my data file, please feel free to publish it, or email it to me and I'll update the file. Some of it is based on sources that are not 100 per cent trustworthy. Some of it is extrapolated from assumptions. So I am prepared to be proved wrong, if it will help everybody to improve their knowledge.

Derek.

Comment

Working...
          X