Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearings

I'll shortly be back in the UK for a holiday and intend to put my 1987 1.6L Maestro back on the road after 1 year in the garage. My question is that the car has a whining sound coming from the front wheels when going round corners. I presume this is the wheel bearings. How dangerous is it driving the car in this condition? Last year the car passed its MOT in this state.

If I have to renew them, would it be worth changing the entire hub for the later type which I've read is longer lasting?
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

The whining sound is likely to be either the bearings or your passenger complaining that you're cornering too fast

If the car hasn't moved since passing the last MOT, then your bearings are probably no worse, although it may be worth getting them changed anyway for peace of mind. It can be one of the most awkward jobs on a Maestro or Montego though, so you may want to get a garage to do it.

To check your front bearings, jack the car up, grab the wheel at the top and bottom, and see if there is any play in the wheel. If you're getting excessive movement then the bearings are worn.
    A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
    Maestro Camper Van
    Maestro 1.3L
    Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

Working...
    X