Clutch cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cables

I’m thinking of carrying a clutch cable in my boot as a spare. The reason for this is that the factory fit cable lasted 100,000 miles, but the aftermarket ones last only between 10,000 and 20,000 miles. I’ve snapped 3 cables in 3½ years.

Are the Unipart cables on ebay the same quality as the factory fit cable? Is there any difference in quality between all the other brands?
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

I had a similar problem with my old sierra; it too kept snapping cables.

In the end, it turned out to be a problem with the gearbox putting too much strain on the cable (cant remeber what it was tho). Chenged box and never broke another one.

Moral of story.... its not always the obvious

Comment

I had the same problem with an old Datsun Cherry 100a, I solved it by putting a spring at the end of the cable.

I have always though of the change from hydraulic to cable clutches as being a retrograde step, simply because you generally could tell when a hydraulic clutch was about to fail and you could usually "pump" your way home.

Comment

i wouldsay the unipart packaged ones would be the same as rover packaged ones as unipart was the main supplier to Rover at the time Maestros were new

Comment

Working...
        X