Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost keys!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lost keys!

    Erm-Hello--this is my very first visit--and post, so I hope I'm doing it right! Now, I own a B reg 1300, 24,000 miles Austin Maestro for which I have very carefully lost the only set of keys!!! Any ideas as to how/where I might get new keys cut, or supplied for the existing ignition/ door/noot locks (bearing in mind that the ignition key also opeartes the two front door locks) WITHOUT necessarily having to replace the locks? Is it still possible to get sets of keys from the appropriate Main Agents (are there any left representing Rover!!) using registration and or Vin Numbers? ANY advice would be gratefully received--basically HELP!!!

    I have located a Company who can, if necessary, cut keys to suit the locks, but that means I have to take in the appropriate locks, which in this case would mean removing (and later re-fitting) the existing ignition lock, and the Boot lock (easy). I am prepared to do this as a last resort--but just wondered if there might ne an easier way first====over to you guys!!
    Last edited by Maestrovanman; 22nd February 2011, 23:26. Reason: Trypiong ererrr!

  • #2
    If you havnt got the key code your a bit stuck. But as you say you've found a company that will cut a key to match a lock all you need to do is remove a door lock and take it to them. Isnt the rear door also the same as the rest?As thats a very easy job to remove

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes the tailgate is easier than doors to remove.

      If it was a later car, the fuel filler door lock would be even easier - but probably on a B-reg you have a lock in the cap itself which won't help as that is different.

      Comment


      • #4
        Tip - the driver's door and ignition barrel are more likely to be worn, so for the true representation of the lock profile you need to use the tailgate or passenger door lock!

        (Although with those miles I guess it won't be too noticeable!)

        Comment


        • #5
          I was thinking it was a van for some reason

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Russ View Post
            I was thinking it was a van for some reason
            Could be the username!?

            Comment


            • #7
              keys and locks

              is there not a code on the ignition barrel ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lordcamperman View Post
                is there not a code on the ignition barrel ?
                Ah-now here's where you can help me! In all my years of Maestro owning, and I've had several, I've never actually tried, or had to, remove the actual ignition key barrel from the aluminium outer casing, so to speak--so would love to know how to do that? The only 'code' I have seen on these ignition switches is an imprint on the outer casing, in this case 'Neiman 0006.' I suspect this is the actual manufacturers mark? Please advise further, as if I CAN discover such a key code on the actual barrel, I may be home and dry as the ignition key also operates both front doors. I would need a separate key for the boot--I have already removed that lock--there is no 'code' visible anywhere on the outer casing, and again, I do'nt know the procedure for accessing the inner key barrel.
                Last edited by Maestrovanman; 23rd February 2011, 19:53.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have had a few of these (steering) locks apart in the past, and unfortunately there is NO key number marked inside.

                  HOWEVER.

                  When the cars left the factory, there was a sticker fitted lower down the outer column tube with the key number written on it. The supplying dealer was supposed to remove this during PDI, but I have experienced a number of BL cars over the years where this did not get done. So it is worth checking the entire length of the column, just in case.
                  1983 (Y) MG 1600
                  1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                  1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                  1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                  1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                  1990 Clubman D
                  1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

                  (all Maestros)

                  Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

                  Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

                  Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    locks on ebay

                    hi there
                    the code was a shot in the dark ive just seen a key and barrel set on ebay the item number if you just type it in is 270708816661
                    need to check wether they are compatable/
                    be lucky
                    jay

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Russ View Post
                      If you havnt got the key code your a bit stuck. But as you say you've found a company that will cut a key to match a lock all you need to do is remove a door lock and take it to them. Isnt the rear door also the same as the rest?As thats a very easy job to remove
                      Russ-thanks for this. On this model, the ignition key also operates the two front door locks. The tailgate has(had!) a separate key. I have already removed the tailgate lock, but can find no trace of a number on the body thereof, and do'nt know how to get the actual barrel out. It looks increasingly likely that I shall end up visiting the firm in London! I'll keep you all posted--very grateful for all your suggestions.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The best advice would be to get a complete lock set. They do come up on ebay sometimes. If your petrol filler cap is locking then you would either have to drill the lock out, or visit a locksmith and have them pick the lock. Then replace the whole cap. Other than that, have the ignition switch/lock replaced (use a centre punch to persuade the remains of the shear bolts round to undo, and search for land rover shear bolts on ebay for replacements if needed) and then match the existing locks to the new key by filing the tumblers down on the barrel with the new key inserted (This would compromise security somewhat, in that the chances of any old Maestro key opening the lock could be increased, however).
                        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The club has quite a few full lock sets inc ignition barrel, front doors, tailgate and fuel filler. PM me if you want to go down that route.
                          A closed mouth gathers no foot

                          Maestro Vanden Plas
                          Maestro Camper Van
                          Maestro 1.3L
                          Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X