Econometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econometer

Hi all, just aquick question for those with LE's. How is the econometer supposed to work? I've fitted one to my 1.3L but all it will do is display the green light and none of the others. When the car is idling should the green light or the red lights be on?
    Cheers,
    Ben

When it is idling the green should be on. Yellow and red will come on if you accelerate (or give the engine a heavy push on idle). Did you connect the vacuum hose?

Regards,

Alexander
    http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

Thanks Alex. The vacuum pipe is connected and working fine. If I take the little plunger out from the back of the econometer and rev the car I can see it moving in and out. I think the econometer must be buggered inside.

Comment

sounds like it, I had one fail like that
        CURRENT FLEET:
        1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
        1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
        1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
        2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
        1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Faulty Econometers

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
          sounds like it, I had one fail like that
          I've seen 2 faulty ones. 1 which I added to my old City, and another in a friends... Both turned out to dry joints in the unit (on the back of the LEDS if I remember right). This was back in 1995 ish on I think '86 cars so was some time ago but having 2 with identical faults I would suggest checking the unit for dodgy soldering.

I think I may have had to be a little inventive getting them apart but cant remember.

If you have any issues and fancy posting it, ill happily take a look at the electronics.

1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
          1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
          Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

i seem to remember trying to get into mine that broke, but I couldn't - ended up breaking it...
            CURRENT FLEET:
            1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
            1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
            1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
            2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
            1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Sounds like my memory is vaguely working then!! Think I split mine apart with a hot wire and cut through the plastic casing 2-3mm from the front, then rejoined with some high strength silicone glue stuff.

Best part of this thread is that Ive remembered by the time I sold my Maestro on, I had swapped this and the dash for the electronic dash and trip computer which means somewhere in a drawer I still have an econometer and floresent display type clock :-)

Now to turn the house up side down!
              1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
              1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
              Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

Thanks Mr Hippo, I did consider trying to cut it apart to have a look inside - right now I have nothing to lose! I might give it a go tomorrow afternoon, if I do I'll post my results here

Comment

Working...
                X