Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres & Grip

Hi All,

Finally got a 2nd Maestro to add to the 'fleet', 1.3 Mayfair (red) runs ok but bodywork is another story.

Before I do anything else to it one tyre is barely legal and needs replacing and the remaining are perishing.

At present the 13" rims seem to have 155/SR13's on the (no middle measurements), is this normal? Does anyone know what other tyres will fit these rims, the rear end currently drives like the car is on ice. My old 1.3 city did the same until I changed the wheels at a scrappy for something larger but I cant remember what size they were!

If I'm going to buy new tyres I want to buy the right size.

Many thanks
    1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
    1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
    Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Standard size on the majority of 1.3 Maestros was 155 SR 13. Modern tyres will probably be marked '155/80 R 13' with the speed and load rating (e.g. 82T) after that.

Your handling issue may be caused by the rubber of the 'old' tyres degrading and losing its grip on the road. Another consideration could be tired shock absorbers, but change the tyres first.

You could consider upgrading to MG alloys (14 or 15 inch) or 14 inch diesel/Ledbury steels, but technically you might need to let your insurance company know...........
    1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Switch to bigger/low profile tyres and you will increase the grip but the car will "Tramline" in truck ruts on the road and will be much more camber sensitive leading to a less than relaxing drive, plus the ride will be a bit harder.
      I'd stick to 155-13's and they are still widely available.
      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Actually a correction, wider tires will usually provide more grip in the dry. In the wet the reverse is usually true, wider tyres exert less pressure and therefore are more likely to aquaplane.

155's are on the smaller engined cars, 165's on the 1.6's and above. Alloy wheels usually got 185/55's. Not sure on the 14 inch steel wheels.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

185/65 on mine.
          Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
          E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
          H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
          J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
          L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
          OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
          PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Thanks all,

Will probably stick with the 155/13s for now then and see how it get on... will stick some piccys up of it at some point as could use some advice re-rust issues although I see there are already some!

Here

Looks somewhat better in the piccys, but then these things always do... at least I got it at a good price (not the listed one).

Thanks!
            1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
            1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
            Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

I'm afraid I missed the first post on this topic. As well as considering rim width, it's also very important to consider the make and type of tyre. Obviously the better the tyre the more expensive they are. My daily driver is a Vauhall Agila, don't laugh my wife needs the high seat to be able to get into the car, she can't get into my Rover 216S, it's too low. The Agila is fitted with a set of Toyo tyres, which are very good for grip. I spent about two miles recently with a Mazda MX5 right on my tail along a rather windy and narrow road, why he didn't overtake I don't know! However after the couple of miles we came to a series of bends, I flung the Agila into them with my usual gusto, only to find the Mazda about 50yds behind me coming out of the bends. So, if it's grip you want ..... Speak to your local tyre dealer who can advise which tyres would be best for your circumstances.

Comment

The general rule when increasing tyre size is, up two sizes down one profile. So your rims will take 175/70 13 without issue.

Comment

The Rover handbook and the Haynes is a good starting point for telling you what different sized tyres AR fitted on the same rims from the factory. There is also the issue of speedo error, if you change size / rolling radius too much.

I like Czech Barums (owned by Continental), cheap but surprisingly good. 5 or 6 years ago they did very well in the Autoexpress test. The 'Bravuris' model has a tread like the Goodyear Aquatread and is very good at cutting through standing water. They come out OK on the online review sites that have mostly German contributors. I like tyres that have softer rubber for better wet grip. They wear faster but if you are buying a cheaper tyre, than a top brand that is less of a problem. Softer rubber compound summer tyres have more grip in the winter than harder ones. Not as good as M+S winter tyres though.

I paid £34 inc valve and balance a couple of years ago for 185/65 14 Barum Bravuris. The Brilliantis is about the same price and that is OK too.

I think ETV has used Barums.

Comment

I've still got some Barum Bravis on the back of the 220 turbo. They seem to last forever. They came from my old 214! Mine have started perishing before they have worn out, and they have spend some time on the front of the 220 turbo too. Grip is ok for a budget tyre, reasonable in the dry, acceptable in the wet and they wear very well. I'd class them as a good budget tyre but I won't be replacing them with the same again on the 220.

Toyo T1r's are a good consideration (thats what is on the front of the 220 and what I'll be replacing the barums with), they aren't a lot more cash have much better dry grip (wet grip is average) but are fairly soft by comparison. Camskill do these cheap I've found in the past.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
                    X