Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front wishbone bush collar's worn/spinning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John C View Post
    Attached is a photo that Chris has just emailed me of the problem I described above -does it help clarify things at all?

Hi here is a picture of what you need, it should explain all for you.

And a link to ebay

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/40016...bar&adtype=pla
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice one -thanks! I've ordered a couple and I'll post on here in due course when we know if they have fixed the problem or not...

Comment

that part is a common problem to fail its mot for to much movment as i had this in the past but always had spare's to fix it the next day and now still have 4 full set of these bushes

Comment

You can get powerflex bushes for the front and rear susepnsion. would be a good upgrade for your racing car

Comment

Do other people's Maestro lower arms also have a metal collar fitted inside the arm's metal cylinder that the bush pushes into? I've never heard of this collar before -normall a bush pushes straight into the cylinder, in my experience.

If we remove the collar then the bush will be too loose in the cylinder. We could try welding the collar in place to stop it being loose?

Comment

Metal collar? That's ridiculous, there is no metal collar.

The rubber bush simply pushes out and a new one is pressed in. That's it.

The alternative is to use Powerflex 2 piece poly bushes with a metal sleeve (see pics).

Unless the metal sleeve in which the bush fits is rusted/fractured/split, I can't see any reason why the new bush would not be a tight fit - the old worn bush can be hard enough to remove sometimes.

As for the argument about 'wishbones', the Monty and Maestro use 'Lower Arms' - they are not wishbones in the true sense., although you will note on the Powerflex box it describes them as 'wishone' bushes!

Comment

You need to post up some pics with this to be clear, not sure what bush you are talking about.
                Originally posted by John C View Post
                Do other people's Maestro lower arms also have a metal collar fitted inside the arm's metal cylinder that the bush pushes into? I've never heard of this collar before -normall a bush pushes straight into the cylinder, in my experience.

If we remove the collar then the bush will be too loose in the cylinder. We could try welding the collar in place to stop it being loose?

Comment

has some PO fitted a lower arm from a Golf perhaps?
                  midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

I know the little collars you are on about. Get down GSF, and ask for the bush collars for a Mk2 golf front wishbone rear bush bolt. In fact I may have a couple of new packets kicking around, they normally have 4 or 5 in them.

Comment

Febi-Bilstein part number 3544, 50mm in length, open o/d of 17.5mm. When compressed they can be fitted inside one another to create they appropriately sized sleeve.

Comment

Thanks guys -top gen.

Why would someone have fitted Golf lower arms? Are they identical in most respects to Maestro ones?

If it has got Golf arms, can we just put the bush into the existing collar and fit it to the Lower Arm (LA), or do we need to get larger collars to make it a nice tight fit in the LA?

Comment

Oh feck I thought you meant the bolt would be lose if removed, hence why I thought you needed bolt sleeves. No idea what you mean about the outer sleeve, I often wondered how similar the golf arms are as visually they look very similar. I might get one of each sent up from my supplier tomorrow and compare.

Comment

I thought it was widely known that VW sued BL for copying the Golf front suspension
                            midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-JE...item2eb52a00c0

Comment

I'm not seeing the similarity to the Maestro one (pictured earlier in this thread)?

Comment

Working...
                                X