Squeaking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking sound

a strange squaking noise has appeared on my car today.

coming down the motorway if I moved the steering slightly to the right, even just a little bit there was this rapid on/off squeaking sound you could hear in the car. with the window down you can hear it louder. With the wheel held slightly right there is no noise. also if you slightly press the brake - even just a fraction it stops.

I was wondering if this could be a bad CV joint; as in addition to the above, when i accelerate out of a junction turning right there is a horrible kind of rubbing sound - its nothing touching the wheel so i assumed it was a bad CV

Any thought on a solution would be appreciated?!

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Disc stone shield rubbing on the disc?

Worn out brake pads?
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

although the brake pads have been on for about 7 years, i dont think they've done more than 2000 miles - so I doubt they're worn out. I'll check if there's a problem with the stone shield though.

I thought it was odd it stopped if the wheel was moved to the left but started when moved ever so slightly right
      CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Had something similar last year, touched the breaks or turned right and it stopped for a min or so then stated to come back ee-ee-ee-ee-EE-EE-EEE-EEE

On investication the brake pad had come away from the backplate at one end and was just skimming the disk, again pads were not worn but were some years old. Not sure its particularly common but may be worth a look!

Cheers!
        1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
        1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
        Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

I think its almost def. a brake problem. In my experience CV joints always produce knocking noises, not squeals.

I've had this happen when the caliper piston sticks.

Comment

If the front brakes haven't been touched in years, might be time to take out pads and give them a clean up.
            Sounds like pads or at least some crud build up causing that noise.
            Greg

Rover Maestro 1.6LX 1991,Daily Driver
            Triumph TR7 V8 DHC 1980

Comment

Sounds like I need to start with a brake strip down then.... I was confused as it only happens when the wheel is held even ever so slightly to the right.

Have used my fucus to come to work today as i was worried about driving it. shame really as I was just getting back into the swing of driving a Maestro as a daily car...

Thanks for the help so far,

Andy
              Last edited by H48HPE; 16th February 2012, 15:09.
              CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

have you jacked it up to see if there is any play,some times the cv nut comes loose on an impending wheel bearing failure...Chris

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                  a strange squaking noise has appeared on my car today.

coming down the motorway if I moved the steering slightly to the right, even just a little bit there was this rapid on/off squeaking sound you could hear in the car. with the window down you can hear it louder. With the wheel held slightly right there is no noise. also if you slightly press the brake - even just a fraction it stops.

I was wondering if this could be a bad CV joint; as in addition to the above, when i accelerate out of a junction turning right there is a horrible kind of rubbing sound - its nothing touching the wheel so i assumed it was a bad CV

Any thought on a solution would be appreciated?!

Andy
                  Hi mate did you get the problem sorted ? I had the same problem fixed it today turned out to be tin backing plate touching the brake disc hope this helps

Comment

Similar case with a Van turned out to be the hub drive flange which had play in the bearing although the shaft nut was tight. Replacing the flange cured the squeal.

Comment

unfortunately I've not had chance to sort this out yet - I've had some stuff to finish off on my avenger first (track rod ends and brake reaction rod bushes) so I can shift it out of the garage to put the maestro in... was expecting the bushes to arive yesterday - but they didn't hence no progress.

I did take the Maestro out for a spin today and I tend to agree it sounds like a brake issue - as its intermittant and stops as soon as you touch the brake, but starts as soon as you let off them again... Its definitely time for the front brakes to be stripped and cleaned; after that I'll see what effect it has. will probably be a job for next Saturday.

I'll report back with my findings after I've cleaned the brakes...

Thanks for the ideas - its probably saved me a few quid as I was thinking it was a CV joint problem.

Andy
                      CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

If it stops when you touch the brake I would suspect a sticky calliper...

Comment

Could even just be excess disc corrosion rubbing on the caliper/stone shield. Whip the wheel off and have a quick stripdown and it should soon become obvious.
                          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thanks for all the pointers - I fixed this today.

I took the caliper off and both pads were stuck solid rusted to the carrier. I managed to get them off and then cleaned up the surfaces where the pad back plate contacts the carrier using a file. once done the pads slid in easily and I've put a bit of copper slip on where the surfaces touch.

did the n/s as well as i thought it would be a similar story - and it was.

just got back from a test run and its stopping nicely with no squeaking at any point stopping or driving.

Again, thanks for everyones suggestions, I would have probably sussed the problem whilst I was trying to change the perfectly functional CV joint - so a good result for my bank balance too!

i'll put some pictures into my project thread when I've done a few other bits I need to do as well http://maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16386

Andy
                            CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Glad to see you got it sorted Andy ,enjoyed looking at your progect thred too...Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X