Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fuel do you use in your MG Maestro Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guussi
    replied
    my cars are ultra low on carbon monoxide-i would like to do a comparable conversion for pre 01 cars to make sure were not paying over the odds in car tax-both my maestro, GTE's and micras all pull very good mpg's! -id say probably used less CO2 in production being more green-if any thing they should be encouraged to be kept on the road-use less power without silly gadgets or over complicated circuitry and devices, no aircon more co2

i need to get stuck into some research on this and see what i find. at the end of the day the yard stick is how far your car goes on the same amount of fuel-the engine size etc precat cars do 10% better mpg and thus burn 10% less petrol stick that in the co2 readings? CATS dont work until there hot and most car journeys done dont get to the operating temp!
    Last edited by guussi; 1st October 2012, 01:23.

Leave a comment:

• E_T_V
    replied
    Easy enough to get the MG to pass the natural idle test, but the revving one would be a lot more of a challenge

Leave a comment:

• matthewsemple
    replied
    Originally posted by guussi View Post
    now for a 16year old banger 96' 92k on the clock id say something was working-my emissions are that of a new car according to the MOT man whose left bewildered dazed and left confused
    My MG Maestro 1600 is the same. Its CO reading is low enough to pass as a catalyst-equipped car even though it doesn't have one and could be much lower.

Originally posted by guussi View Post
    the last other mOT man was also such after doing the emissions on my derv perkie-i say fluck the road tax as its unfair my emissions are zippo compared to less road taxed newer cars.....but then they're going to scrap the road tax for pay per view
    You are confusing CO and CO2 readings - one is carbon monoxide produced and the is carbon dioxide consumed. The tests done at the MOT are for carbon monoxide parts per million and has nothing to do with the carbon dioxide per kilometer test that has been on new models since 2001.

Leave a comment:

• guussi
    replied
    dry fuel

if some dried petrol soup is left in the tank after being stored and you want to drive it [fuel goes off] i'd put in the highest octane fuel via jerry and add wynns dry fuel for the condensed water at the bottom that was once within the fuel and above the fuel in the tank

there is a small percentage of water content in fuel and will eventually condense more so in diesel

HIGH OCTANE FUEL
    id say one emissions are reduced as the fuel is more combustible leaving less tarnish-if you have a fine ear you will high higher revs with the engine as more energy is released for same volume burned-the result isnt noticeable as every driving condition is never the same-the car is slightly more responsive and torguey in my experience - one often prefers the response with the heavy foot and goes faster being more expensive.....
    Last edited by guussi; 29th September 2012, 18:02.

Leave a comment:

• guussi
    replied
    i sometimes put 100ml of nail varnish remover before i fill up to give it a spring clean [in my non rover 1.0i16v mk2 nissan micra] keeps engine nice and clean funny enough etv will scorn-but i also drop heavy noble metal bits in my tank and a 20+lb pull welders magnet on the fuel line adjacent to fuel rail!!

now for a 16year old banger 96' 92k on the clock id say something was working-my emissions are that of a new car according to the MOT man whose left bewildered dazed and left confused
    the last other mOT man was also such after doing the emissions on my derv perkie-i say fluck the road tax as its unfair my emissions are zippo compared to less road taxed newer cars.....but then they're going to scrap the road tax for pay per view

Leave a comment:

• E_T_V
    replied
    No, but weren't the late carb and EFI 2 litre cars unleaded form the factory? I thought they were the same as my little A series was

Just to clarify there is no issue running 95RON unleaded in the MG turbos even though they were never approved to run as such.

Leave a comment:

• matthewsemple
    replied
    Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
    I think the late MEMs ecu's were mapped for unleaded from the start.
    Except the MG Montego Turbo with MEMS. No MG Turbo sold in the UK was ever approved to run on unleaded fuel.

Leave a comment:

• E_T_V
    replied
    Unleaded in an O series is fine. 95 RON will cause the ecu to knock the timing back a little via the knock sensor but will run just fine as my turbo does (essentially the same ECU with a different map in it. I think the late MEMs ecu's were mapped for unleaded from the start.

Leave a comment:

• matthewsemple
    replied
    Tesco's 99 RON fuel is called Momentum 99 - it is the joint sponsor of the MG6 BTCC car along with their KX energy drink. Hence MG KX Momentum Racing.

I used to use LRP fuel that was available after four star was withdrawn. Lots of people didn't rate it and there were lots of silly myths about it however I found that it was much more economical and as it only cost 2p a litre more it worked out cheaper than 95 RON unleaded. I suspect most of the people that criticised it had never tried it. When they stopped selling LRP the only high octane fuels were eye-wateringly expensive, I stopped using it. I now use unleaded in my MG Maestro 1600 with the Redex lead-replacement additive and simply unleaded in my MG Maestro Turbo.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Slow
    replied
    As an aside Dan, does the same go for my 2.0 carb NASP? I've noticed it's slightly thirstier but "happier" feeling and a bit torquier on 97RON than is it on supermarket 95. Could this be because 97 is what is was designed for, and would even higher octane fuel offer more of the same? I understand Tesco offer a 99RON fuel, which I'd like to try.

Leave a comment:

• E_T_V
    replied
    If you are lucky

They are designed to run on 97 octane but they run happily on 95 octane fuels as they have a knock sensor.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Cheers for clarifying that. When the cars going to be used it will be drinking V Power then. Good quality fuel none of that supermarket crap.
    Not at approx 240 miles to a tank

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Cheers for clarifying that. When the cars going to be used it will be drinking V Power then. Good quality fuel none of that supermarket crap.

Leave a comment:

• philippope
    replied
    The engines can run on unleaded without problems, no additive needed as valve seat recession will not be caused by unleaded. You might notice a performance increase by raising the octane-either through an additive or by choosing super unleaded at the pump.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Or right, I have Google'd it but couldn't come up with any results but I do remember reading somewhere that someone used V Power along with some additive. Does it basically run on anything?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X