Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maestro gearbox codes

would this gearbox code ring any bells? 6w20084

reason i ask is because it is currently on a mk2 golf 16v yet isnt a VW gearbox so we are trying to work out what it came from to see whether or not it is causing the 16v to feel underpowered

Cheers,
    Craig

Some info from another source:

"6W is a 1.6 5 speed. Non MG. 3.89:1 final drive. Check on http://www.scirocco.org/gears/ for the proper gearbox he needs.

Other points of interest you might want to post.... 6W gearbox came with 3.94 final drive (not 3.89 - that's early boxes), and the following:

1600 five-speed gearbox ratios (non MG):
    1st 3.45
    2nd 1.94
    3rd 1.29
    4th 0.91
    5th 0.71

His box is a 6S, with code 20 08 4, so it was manufactured on the 20th of August (08), 198-4.. The ratios changed (between 'r' and 's' series) in approx July.. Very early box that one..

To be honest - that FD will give good acceleration for most cars, so if the Dub is feeling 'underpowered', then it might not be the g'box. Not sure of the year for a Mk II, but most 80's Golves had lower FDs (3.67), so would have accelerated slower.. Someone in the past might have wanted a different FD, therefore explaining the different 'box - however, they might have lost the close-ratio gears that the 16v probably had. Also, if they swapped the g'box - what might be inside might not reflect the number stamped on the bellhousing."

Hope that helps
    A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
    Maestro Camper Van
    Maestro 1.3L
    Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

thanx alot for clearing that up

i know what gearbox my car is meant to have, but until we found out what the ratio's of the current box in it we didnt want to tamper with it

greatly appreciated,
      Craig

Comment

Working...
      X