MG maestro Turbo cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG maestro Turbo cutting out

I wanted to MOT my Maestro Turbo today. Got it out in the lovely snow and set off having checked all the lights etc. I haven't driven her since the summer. The car kept cutting out. I could literally start, rev, move a few yards thaen she would cut out-had to get back home like that, about a mile-quite embarrassing, though other road users were very patient! Any ideas on what's wrong? I've put fresh fuel in and she was running well in the summer. Any help gratefully received!
    Phil

Rust/dirt in the fuel lines possibly... the air seperater has a habit of rusting badly.. It just starves the engine of fuel once the engine is running because the flow is so reduced.
    You can confirm this by creating a external fuel feed to the carb and go for a short drive.

Comment

Hi Philip

The first thing I would look at is check that the oil pressure warning light is working as it should. If it is illuminated when the ignition is on then extinguishes during cranking then stays extinguished when the engine is running, this is ok. If it stays on when engine running check the wire to the OP switch is connected, if so the switch could be faulty and needs renewing.

If there are no problems with the oil light, then the next thing to check is the float chamber vent valve is not sticking open. The valve is on the bulkhead near the servo and is connected to the carburettor by a length of hose... Disconnect the hose from the carb and with the ignition turned on you should not be able to blow through the tube & valve. If you can the valve is sticking open, you could try turning on & off the ignition several times to try release it otherwise you could need a new valve or the wiring to it is faulty.

If you find the valve sticking, as a temporary measure you could blank off the carb stub pipe with some rubber tube blocked up at the open end.

Cheers, Gary.

Comment

Working...
      X