No announcement yet.

Help needed or I give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checked the wiring diagram and yes it does go through the ignition so car has to be running or on posit 2 (3 is to turn the starter, i think)

Anyway there isnt much to the stop lamp circuit.

get a meter.. put it on dc volts check three places.
    Put negative on a good place on the body (or a wire to the neg of the battery)
    Start the car.
    then put positve in the fuse box slot with the fuse out (check both sides). Do you get a reading on one of them? 12-13.5 volts ish.
    If yes, put the positive terminal of the meter on the brake light swich, press the peddle any voltage?
    If yes, get someone to sit in the car and pree the peddle...check the multiplug at the back to confirm voltage there.

Comment

Sounds like an earthing problem.

I can't remember off the top of my head where the earth to the rear cluster is, but using your multimeter check the resistance between the earth on the cluster and the cars earth (find some bare metal). There should be next to zero resistance. If there is some, probably a corroded earth connection. If the other side is OK at least you can compare the two.

Regarding backfiring, have you checked the fuel/air mixture recently? Dashpot got oil filled up?

Good luck,

Ian.
      Ian Drew
      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
      MG ZT V8
      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Solved!

Many thanks to all the help! The rotor arm is being glued this weekend and hoping to replace the camshaft to a more permanant fix. The brake light issue was silly. I undid the brake light bracket and removed the switch. The switch was stuck, so the lights were permantly in the 'off' position. I little spray of WD and good as new again. After a back-breaking afternoon and using a few choice words, I got it back in and working a treat.

Thanks once again for all your help, the old girl is still going thanks to you guys!!!

It's Maestro Power that got me where I am today!
        Add me on Facebook. Search for: Red Maestro

Jobs for 2012
        Replace headlining: Done at last!
        Prepare car for Longbridge 2012:Done
        Prepare car for my wedding in August 3rd!!: She looked awesome, can't wait to see the official photos
        Prepare car for St. Asaph car show: In process
        Winter-proof car:

Comment

To be honest once the rotor arm is glued back in place you won't need to replace it. That is a permenant fix.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
          X