Anyone stripped PG1 Turbo k7 Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone stripped PG1 Turbo k7 Box

Bought a ZS 180 box fitted with Quaife diff, was fitted to a T16 engine in a rover 25, but there no speedo ring fitted to the diff (plastic wheel), i stripped a old MG Maestro Efi box i had in shed, but it didnt have the plastic speedo ring it was metal one and apart of the diff.
    question is i have K7 turbo box too i don't want strip that too if that doesn't have plastic speedo ring too! and i have wasted 2 gearboxes
    Anyone have spare one? or know what gearbox has the plastic ring fitted.
    thanks
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Maestro PG1's tend to have the metal speedo drives.

Later 200/400/600/800 have plastic drives. There are several different versions of ratios though (denoted by colour)

ZS180 box doesn't fit a T series does it? (Different Bellhousing on K series PG1's).

What exactly are you after? If you just want a plastic drive gear then you can probably still buy these new.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

does fit i bought the engine and box together and spilt them, gearbox code C6BKUH 20008187, yes just need the plastic ring do know which one i need?
      MG Maestro turbo 437
      367 Bhp

Comment

Must just be the K4's that don't fit then.

220/420 turbos should have cream plastic speedo drive with 23 teeth

620 turbo should have a black plastic speedo drive with 26 teeth

Montego/Maestro should have a metal speedo drive with 39 teeth

I have a feeling that you'll need to machine the diff to fit the original metal speedo ring if you can't find a 39tooth plastic one.

(All assuming you are fitting it to a maestro/montego).

I presume you only want the diff and not the ratios as the C6 ratios are a fair bit shorter than the original turbo ratios.

Comment

no was going to fit the gearbox, has it like new only 50 miles on it and mine bit worse for wear.
          thanks for the info will look on rimmers for 39 teeth ring.
          MG Maestro turbo 437
          367 Bhp

Comment

Ratios are quite a bit shorter than the original box. Might be ok for what you are after but it'll be more buzzy on the motorway.

Comment

looked all over internet for plastic 39 teeth ring for PG1 box, looks like you cant buy them would it be miles out if i fitted incorrect speedo ring?
              MG Maestro turbo 437
              367 Bhp

Comment

i have a torsen diff rover 800 vitesse pg1 gearbox FOC for collection only in northampton if you would like it. That has a plastic speedo drive ring.............and the longer 5th gear ratio as well.

Box needs a rebuild so would be perfect for you if you justwant parts.

PM me

Comment

What colour plastic cog though. It is unlikely to be a 39 tooth one as I think only the maestro/montego had these.

I've got the same fun with my L series to sort out.

The speedo will be miles out unless you fit the right speedo ring.

Comment

i have also 620 Ti box with low miles with type B diff, cant even fit that either speedo ring will have same problem, must be someone else out there who fitted Quaife diff on there maestro!
                    you cant even separate the metal speedo ring from maestro box has its all made has one
                    MG Maestro turbo 437
                    367 Bhp

Comment

No it isn't. The speedo ring is just an interference fit on the diff. It will come off if you are careful. The problem will be that the other diffs aren't machined for it to fit on from memory.

Comment

Left Type A diff from a 200/400 turbo

Top maestro turbo diff (open)

Right - Type B diff from a 620

All three types of speedo rings stacked on each other.

Comment

I have found that fitting a 150mph speedo face to a 110mph speedo head and adjusting the needle slightly off the stop will give you a working speedo that is very accurte. got my one within 2mph of satnav displayed speeds (when above 15mph) when using a rover 45 diesel gearbox on a o series turbo

Comment

i have gave the gearbox and maestro diff to engineering company and explained what was needed, they seemed sure there wouldnt be a problem.
                            MG Maestro turbo 437
                            367 Bhp

Comment

All done and working with right speedo ring asked them put new seals too total bill £120 cant really complain.
                              MG Maestro turbo 437
                              367 Bhp

Comment

Working...
                              X