Boot leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot leak

Hi, the section behind the spare wheel well on our maestro is filling with water, it seems to be coming over the top of the boot seal where the panels that house the rear speakers is and running down. I'm thinking bending the lip that holds the seal upwards slightly should solve this but are there any other common places to check for leaks?

Thanks, 2001maestro

Rear lamps can let water in if the "sponge" gasket fails or is old.
    Also check the rear lamp cluster nut's to see if they have come loose over time, allowing a gap to form for water to get passed.

Comment

Is the tailgate latching properly? The latch holds it against the seal and the striker position is adjustable.

I have also had leakage problems from the washer tubing.

I used water soluble felt tip ink on masking tape to trace my leak.
      Last edited by PhilBill; 18th December 2013, 19:43.

Comment

Talcum powder is good for tracing leaks too. I've also seen rear tailgate window seals letting in water when the sealant gets old.
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to look into it tomorrow with these tips in mind

Comment

also dont rule out the rear washer pipe being split and spraying water inside the tailgate.

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post
              also dont rule out the rear washer pipe being split and spraying water inside the tailgate.
              ... if not inside, then checkcnear to the right hand tailgate hinge. If split, join with an in-line (preferably 90 degree angled) pipe connector. This is very common indeed!
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I've replaced the washer pipe front to rear using aquarium tubing from B&Q so can rule that one out, not an easy job but thought we would do it whilst the headlining was removed.

Comment

Hi,

Just catching up on forum things and you seem to be one step ahead of me in everything.. MOT issues, leaky boots...

My boot and Ive seen 2 other ledburys with water in, perhaps its a seal that wasnt installed when they were built?

I havent quite managed to trace my leak yet as it seems impossible to simulate with a hosepipe, but mine gets in to the car between a gunked panel join between the inner boot skin and mid skin just below the lights on both sides of the car inside the boot. Taking out the lights the outward facing side of the 'middle' skin is dry.

My best guess at present is that the water is comming in the rear quaterlight somewhere around the plastic triangle. My boot seals are perfectly fine so its not there.
                  1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
                  1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
                  Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

Working...
                  X