Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loosing Water somewhere

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Loosing Water somewhere

    This is a real mystery to me. My expansion tank is empty but I can't find where the water is going
    Recently I changed my radiator so I checked all the hoses and connectors and they are dry and secure.
    Next I checked the header tank and no cracks are found and the hoses and connectors are ok.
    I'v checked the heater matrix and the pipes are all sound and there is no mayo in the oil.

    Is there something I have missed right under my nose????
    I have recently done 1600 miles over the festive period and the car did not miss a beat but now I have to top up every few days.

    Anyone got any ideas as Iam totaly flumaxed and on the verge of changing all the hoses in the system.

    Cheers
    S

  • #2
    How's the oil looking? :-/

    Comment


    • #3
      I had the car was fully serviced just before the holidays so the oil is still clean and fresh. The dip stick is clear and I've had a look into the rocker cover and all looks ok.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi

        Have a look under the water pump for any antifreeze staining, check footwell carpets for damp, core plugs, thermostat gaskets? No leaks whatsoever you would suspect head gasket.

        Cheers, gary

        Comment


        • #5
          AHHH the water pump, good thinking sherlock!!!
          I've just had the fan belt changed so the water pump gasket could have been disturbed.

          If it is that can it be fixed temp with instant gasket for the tie being???

          The floor is dry and the core plugs and the side of the block look ok but changing them may also be an idea.

          Cheers
          S

          Comment


          • #6
            Check the radiator, I had a pin hole in mine. No stains as the water was evaporating as it leaked, the only way to find it was squeezing the hose and locking closely at the radiator
            What vehicle is it?

            Comment


            • #7
              maybe look at the steel pipe which runs under the radiator.i had a pin hole leek there its now under the hose but i will need a new pipe sometime good luck

              Comment


              • #8
                And the metal coolant rail on the back of the engine too. Check this as it is well hidden and a common rot point.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

                Comment

                Working...
                X