Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

speakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • speakers

    hi all,would anyone know off hand the size of the dashboard speakers on the mg maestro 2.0 efi ? I have removed the n/s speaker(dead easy)but do I measure from hole to hole diagonally ? to get the size ? also how do you remove the o/s speaker ? doesn't seem to mention either in the book apart from door speakers.i want to replace the dash ones as I don't want to cut holes in the door cards !
    thanks in advance,steve

  • #2
    Where are the speakers, in the dash I presume? If so then they'll probably be 4.5inch ones (measure the outer edge of the cone of the speaker).
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

    Comment


    • #3
      speakers removal

      thanks mate.yes theyre the inset into the dash ones about 4 w each ! I reckoned 4.5 inches but needed to chk so thanks for that.do you know how to remove the drivers side speaker ? iv tried prising the casing up but to no avail.wondered if there was a hidden screw somewhere and you had to remove the dash/clocks etc ?
      cheers,steve

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm going back to 1991 when I last did speakers in a Maestro with an early type dash, so apologies if I've got it wrong, but from memory:

        If you remove the instrument panel surround by pulling it away, then you will see the two screw heads that fasten the O/S speaker panel to the fascia. These are hidden from view by the instrument surround for neatness, which is causing the confusion. Undo the two screws and the speaker panel can then be lifted away from the fascia, revealing the O/S loudspeaker. This can be unscrewed and removed.

        Replacement speakers on those are 4" (or 100mm) size. Most speakers have slightly elongated mounting slots anyway to cope with the vast amount of installation possibilities. For replacements, try these:

        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILLIPS-C...-/351008144190

        This diagram might also help you:
        Attached Files
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

        Comment


        • #5
          Simon is spot-on with that.

          I did the same on my MG EFi many years ago. At the time, I installed a pair of Pioneer 'upgrade' speakers that were readily available.
          1983 (Y) MG 1600
          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
          1990 Clubman D
          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

          (all Maestros)

          Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

          Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

          Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

          Comment


          • #6
            Almost any speaker is going to be an upgrade over the originals as the foam gets degraded by sunlight and so the speaker cones flop about rattling and making an awful noise.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
              Almost any speaker is going to be an upgrade over the originals as the foam gets degraded by sunlight and so the speaker cones flop about rattling and making an awful noise.
              Oh that's the reason! I thought the cause of the speakers degrading was down to the naff 80s tunes that were played out of them at the time.....!

              (I love the 80s really )
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

              Comment


              • #8
                speakers again !

                thanks for that simon,brilliant.cant do mch at the mo due to other projects on the go !!!(lotus esprit)but deffo try again this weekend.there will be naff 80s tunes im afraid itd be rude not to blast em out again.the reason I need to change them is a) the sound quality is crap and b) ones got a lovely hole in it !! thanks again and more laterz,steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  speakers again !

                  forgot to ask,does the top of the instrument surround just pull off ?
                  thanx,steve

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i pulled the top part out a bit first. then the bottom.
                    but becarefull as you do not want to break the clips holding it on

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      speakers/bezel

                      cheers dave,gonna remove the column cover first.didnt want to go heavy handed and wreck it.cheers mate,steve

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        removeing the colume cowl does make it easier

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          off.looks like someones been here before-think theres a clip missing.theres on ly three
                          steve

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X